Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure vessel or bellows test pressure!? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillwynston

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2007
GB
Hi guys,

I have a question, in my company we make bellows, we test the bellows to a standard test pressure of 1.5 times the design pressure. I was reading some of EJMA the expansion joints manufacturers association stds book and a paragraph confused me. When testing products with an extremely high design temperature, we would generally use a lower test pressure than 1.5 times the design pressure. Why is this? I asked a colleague who informed me there is a test pressure calculation with the ASME standards yet he seems to think the calulation would suggest a higher test pressure at an elevated temperature. Can anybody tell me why test pressure should be lowered at high temperature and if anyone knows the formula for the test pressure?! thanks for listening...:)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree with your colleague. In ASME Section VIII, the hydrotest would be higher for vessels in elevated temperatures. Refer to paragraph UG-99(b). The formula is:

1.3 x MAWP x test stress / design stress

This would in fact give you a higher hydrotest pressure. I don't know anything about bellows and I am unaware of any situation that would give a lower test pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back