Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pressure Vessel (Piston accumulator)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydrotor

Industrial
Dec 22, 2009
US
I understand that AS 1210-1997 specifies requirements for materials, designs, manufacturing, etc. for pressure vessels up to 21 MPa(3046 psi). I have a requirement to provide piston accumulators that would be 5000 psi (34.4 MPa). Is there another mandate for higher pressure vessels? Please help...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hydrotor, AS 1210 has a supplement for higher pressures. Supplement 1, and it is for vessels of advanced design and construction.

AS1210 pressure-diameter relationship and limitation is given by Tabe 1.3.1 and this is the same for Supplement1.

AS1200 is the umbrella code to look at for the applicability. I could not find any specific clause for inclusion or exclusion of the accumulators. However, if we accept them as an air receiver, the design and manufacture is in accordance with AS1210 under AS1200 Table 2.1.

I personally would not recommend using the Supplement 1 because of the complexity, and otherwise you need to be very specific for the loads in/on the vessel.

Hope it is helpful.

Ibrahim Demir

I subscribe to the caution suggested by Ibrahim;-try to figure out for yourself the suitability of this AS 1210 standard conceived in around 1995, as a summary of the ASME code but including some vague departures from the code in order to prevent the copyright infringement. The rest of the world has seen several major changes in the concept of pressure vessel design, except the Australian AS 1210.
The compliance with AS 1210 doesn't preclude the use of modern software (unavailable for design based on AS 1210). However, the use of software based on ASME, PD or EN standards in compliance with this old AS 1210 standard would require difficult modifications of the software database and the chance of not getting ever your design approved by some 'recognised' verifying agencies.
You need to be very careful in clarifying with your client the basis of design, including allowable stresses, method of calculating the nozzle and shell stresses due to nozzle external loads (refer to WRC 107 limitations!), otherwise you will never get the design approval unless you pay the agency with your blood. That's how AS 1210 makes money to some...in association with the ignorant local authorities requesting blindly compliance with AS 1210.
Cheers,
gr2vessels

Have you checked with any of the Hydraulic Equipment manufacturers like Parker Hannifan or Rexroth for off the shelf piston accumulators. No need to reinvent the wheel if you don't need to.

If you are a manufacturer that normally deals with the ASME Code, then you should clarify to your customer that you will design and build to ASME, then have it Verified by a third party to AS1210, and Registered with the Australian Authorities (Work Safe,etc) of the applicable Australian State. You will need a contact at the end user's location, as he/she will actually recieve the registration number.
Remember - you are not building to AS1210.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back