Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressurised Gas Tank - how long to empty??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydrogen_joe

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2020
GB
Hi all, thanks for reading.

I am trying to model the emptying of a pressurised gas body (e.g. tank/line) when a leak is present. I know the initial choked mass flow rate of the leak due to the internal pressure (350 bar), however, I am not sure how best to model the decreasing flow rate due to the reducing pressure within the tank.

Ideally, I would be able to model the pressure decrease from 350bar to atmospheric conditions against leak time, and thus the time taken for the tank to 'empty'. I am struggling to find any reading on this, could anyone help me out or point me in the correct direction.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As transient event you ether need to use a transient process analysis tool or create a spreadsheet and do it in time steps small enough so that the mass flow rate is more or less the same over the time step.

So you start with a certain mass of gas at a certain pressure in a fixed volume. You can calculate the mass flow.

Let that run for X seconds. Subtract the mass which has left from the start mass.

Then convert that mass to volume lost and re calcualte the internal pressure.

Rinse and repeat until you get down to non choked flow.

Note tha tthe tail will be very long. Ususally people set a certain cut off in terms of pressure ( say 1 bar or 5 bar ) and calculate up that point.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thanks for your reply.

The internal density would also decrease with decreasing pressure, I assume this would need to be found with each iteration to find the actual density at the new, lower pressure?

Best to get this done on a commercial process simulator which has a utility for depressurisation simulations - Hysis or Pro II, especially since this starts at 350barg.

The calculation needs to know volume of tank and flowrate. Neither of which the OP has sent us.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back