Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressurized pipe flow design software information 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwgeary

Civil/Environmental
Mar 30, 2010
US
Hello all,

Our firm is looking at purchasing design software for pressurized pipe flow systems. We will need to design potable water systems as well as systems that will be for irrigation.

I am looking for information about each product pros and cons, ease of use, that kind of thing. I saw Watercad is used by some on the site. I am not real sure what the competitors are for Watercad.

Any help and information would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The University of Kentucky has developed hydraulic modeling software that used to be KYpipe. Now i believe it is K2010 or something like that.

AFT has Fathom for steady state analysis of water, slurry and other fluids. It has standard nodes for spray heads for irrigation systems. Other programs allow for transient analysis. I have used it for systems up to 3m diamter and 29kM long, desalination plants and many pipelines. Refer my website for some project details.

It is drag and drop software that is easy to use and fully supported by a team of engineers rather than computer geeks.

Some freeware that is based on Fathom is PSIM. It has limitations of numbers of pipes and nodes but is fully functional.
"Sharing knowledge is the way to immortality"
His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

I'd start with EPAnet: free, unlimited pipes. Then, if you don't find it fulfills your needs look for other products. I've used EPAnet for simple rural water systems and been quite satisfied. I have heard others with more complex designs, such as variable speed pumps etc, having problems modeling their systems with it. I put some videos on Youtube showing the basic set up of an EPAnet model. You can view the first one here:
The others (14 all together) should list on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back