Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prestressed Steel Girders 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicman

Structural
Mar 12, 2001
US
Could anyone recommend a good design guide or text related to prestressed steel girders?

I have a non-composite rolled steel beam bridge (W33x130) with timber deck that needs to be strengthened. Options I've looked at include cover plates and cover plate with composite concrete deck. One problem I've found is that it would be most beneficial to shore the bridge so that the cover plates can help carry the dead load of the beam, however, environmental permits may make that option less desireable.

I wanted to look at in-place strengthening with external post-tensioning. I've looked at the book by M.S. Troitsky, but wanted to find some other resources as I learn more about how this method might be applicable to my case.

Thanks for any input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can look at various DOT websites for bridge manuals that may address how to handle various strengthenings and when to use what.

A text I recommend is Bridge Strengthening and Rehabillitation by Xanthakos.

I'm not sure it gets into the details, but if you have experience in prestressing precast girders you'll pick this up pretty easily.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

In years past, The James F. Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation published a book entitled Prestressed Welded Steel Structures. There is some good information in it and at least one example of a bridge designed by TY Lin that was constructed in Idaho.

The book was published in 1988, and you may still be able to purchase a copy from them.

I think there were research projects that investigated the feasibility of doing what you are wanting to do. Maybe you should look at TRB reports, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back