Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent column failure due to torsion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteLotus

Structural
Sep 13, 2002
US
I will be welding a W12 beam to an existing W14 x 202 column. This beam will be subjected to a vertical load and a horizontal load. The horizontal load from the beam will result in torsional buckling of the column.

At this point, I am most likely going to beef up the column by either adding plates on the flange or stiffening the web to increase J and Cw, thus increasing the elastic buckling stress.

My question is, which approach will work better, stiffen the web, adding plates to the flange, or should I do both?

Thank You
R

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your biggest bang for the buck should be in strengthening the web for torsional response, though depending upon web-flange thickness ratio, you might need to do both.

It appears to me that a little more attention paid to the detailing of the joint between the column and the new beam can result in joint translation rather than joint rotation. The beam stifness should contribute to resisting the column rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back