Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Preventative maintenance software

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvann

Industrial
Dec 9, 2007
US
I just started as a plant engineer and need to organize the inventory, pms, purchasing at my new employer. They currently have a pm program called atlas 2000. It is not what I am looking for in a pm program so I was wondering what everyone else was using and what recomendations everyone had. I liked the software that I was using at my previous employer but it is a little on the pricy side so I need to have a few different programs to show the VP so that we can purchase it for both of our plants. What I am looking to be able to do is:

Have inventory through computer and be able to print part tags

Have a pm program that doesn't consider pm's as work orders, I want to have a work order as something that is done above and beyond a regular pm

I want to be able to go back and track what work orders were done to a specific piece of equipment without seeing the regular pm's in that list.

Be able to record equipment failures/downtime

Be able to enter purchase orders into system so that I can go back and research where I purchased parts, when I purchased them, and how much I paid for them.

Thanks for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The best software I have worked with is Datastream MP2. It can do as much or as little as you want, from simple work order generation to parts tracking to scheduling. I would find a rep who can tell you more. As with any computer system it is only as good as personnel using it, collecting and entering proper data. Once I used it for a while it became easier and the customization you can do is almost limitless. Nothing against any other products out there, this is just my favorite.

I am used to DataStream 7i, a very good product but also pricey.

I would be a little cautious about jumping into switching CMMS without a strong case, you wouldn't be the first one promising silver bullets and getting axed when the results are not showing.

1) List the strengths and weakness of the current system.
since you are not interested in the strengths, do a root cause analysis why the system does not work.

2) If the problem is poor training, and the people do not know the system or do not like it, don't expect hallelujah when you come up with a new CMMS.

3) Talking to the VP is good move but you need to have the backing of the people working with CMMS. Else your upgrade can be classified as "Program of the Month".

4) Be sure that the VP has some affinity with maintenance, engineering, operations and/or reliability, if he has an accountant background... [bluegreedy]

mvann, I was thrilled to find your post. I am in much the same position.

Currently we are using a database called Excellents Though Quality (EtQ). It is a Lotus notes data base made for an ISO 9001 system. In EtQ we are able to make equipment profiles, then schedule multiple task for any one piece of equipment. You can view what maintenance is due and what is late.

When a maintenance is complete, you can record the details of what has been done and what parts were used. We have a second, parts database that it pulls from automatically. It then schedules the next maintenance based on the frequency you entered.

However, our problem is that in EtQ this is the only database which we have had any significant luck with. My company is looking to scrap EtQ altogether and I have been charged with investigating a new maintenance program.

Datastream MP2 sounds promising. Are there any other database maintenance type programs that anyone has had luck with?

We are currently using MP2 extensively (since 1998 or so), and I'll throw out this caution note to the readers.

MP2 is considered to be a "mature" product and is not scheduled for any upgrades or further development, just maintenance releases to fix known issues. This occurred shortly after Datastream introduced MP7i.

Later on, Datastream was sold to Infor. The new management has not shown any signs (that I am aware of) of changing that position. I think they're making a big mistake in writing off the large base of MP2 users, but there it is.

The cost of MP7i and the fact that it doesn't do anything that MP2 doesn't do (that we need) has kept us from switching. We are starting to look at where we will migrate to, but no decisions yet.

MP2 may or may not still be available for purchase. It's a good program, but its lifespan is limited. Good luck.

I've learned a little bit about computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS) this past week. There are several out there for sure, Datastream MP2, Tabware, EzMaintenance, MPulse, Manager Plus. SAP and Maximo seem to be two very popular systems.

The one that has intersted me the most is MPulse. They have a great demo atleast which all the others lack. I mentioned the price to my boss of about $6,000 (it can go higher it seems) and he cringed. When I pointed out the fact that our monthly maintenance budget was $20k and over a years time $6k is less than 3% of the entire budget he seemed to be a bit more receptive.

Crying of over an investment of $6,000 to handle the organization/spending of 240,000 a year for maybe $2,400,000 worth in equipment.....

An other program I would suggest is Mapcon is about the same price as MPulse.

SAP maybe thew most popular.... but it is also the most expensive...

I've used Maximo in the past and have found it to be my first choice.

Currently, the plant I am at now uses MP2 and I can't stand it. We are currently in the process of switching over to Oracle. I'll post back in this thread in a few months to give my opinion on this system.

We are using Datastream 7i (or MP7i) that was bought out by "Infor".. I am new to this, (just started with the company back in March) and I believe our problems have a lot to do with training. For me it's been learn as you go and they have a subcontractor/consultant who handles the codes for our requirements. From what I understand, Datastream is an application built on Oracle (a rock solid database) but if the applicationm (and consultant) are not worth a damn, with no one else knowledgable of working wih it, you are up the creek without a paddle. Datastream gives little to no support on line and I can't find a fourm or blog where I can get any information.

Good luck with your project..

Also forgot to mention we were looking at "ManagerPlus as an alternative application. From the looks of it and from the information I received from the vendor, they will be able to do the job. It is user friendly and it is a hell of a lot cheaper than Datastream 7i. You may want to look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back