Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Preventing "fudging" dimensions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunalover

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2002
US
We are collaborating with a vendor who is taking our drawings, making dimensional changes, and not changing the geometry to match. He is editing dimensions by removing the associative dimension and replacing it with text. For example, if a dimension reads "<54.256>" he might change it to "56.500" and will not move the feature and extension line accordingly. This new "dimension" is basically "dumb text" that will not change with the position of the extension line. Of course this is a blatant violation of drafting rules. He will not admit that he is doing it.

Is there an AutoCAD setting that will prevent him from editing dimensions in such a manner? If so, what is it? We could change that setting on all files before we send them to him. He would never know how to change it back!

Thanks,
T

Tunalover

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

rollupswx-
You mean provide them with hardcopy that they can redline and return? What is "dwfout"?
I'm not an AutoCAD expert.
Thanks,

Tunalover

dwfout is an AutoCAD command that saves the file in a Drawing Web Format.
Using the free Autodesk Design Review that comes with AutoCAD (or can be downloaded by anyone) they can view and mark-up the drawing as needed (electronically) and send the file back to you.

There is much more information in the AutoCAD Help files.

AnthonyDeramo-
The intention of this thread is to come up with a solution. The fact is that the design is collaborative requiring both parties to work on the design! Do you have a solution that allows him to change the drawings without editing associative dimensions into dumb text?

Tunalover

I am in the Midwest for the next two weeks and I'll try to find some examples on my return to Chicopee if there is still an interest.

Another feature that you may want to look at is sending your client WBLOCK drawings in the interim period; then he would have to explode the drawings to change the dimensions but be careful not to have blocks within blocks within blocks in the Wblock drawings.

We've found a command in AutoCAD Mechanical that will highligt all dimensions containing "dumb"text. We've also written a LISP program that will highlight dimensions with dumb text in AutoCAD. This doesn't prevent the guy from fudging the dimensions in the first place but at least it helps a little.

Tunalover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back