Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Price comparison of NdFeB, SmCo, SrFe or BaFe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyde38

Electrical
Oct 31, 2003
US
Does anyone have a recent cost comparison of permanent magnets (as a finished product, not raw material prices)for NdFeB, SmCo and sintered ferrite (SrFe or BaFe)? A source for the information would be helpful. I would like to be able to determine what the price/(lb., kg, etc.) is for Neo, Samarium, and sintered ferrite.

[link ]
btn_liprofile_blue_80x15.gif" width="80" height="15" border="0" alt="View Clyde's profile on LinkedIn
[/url]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At the Magnetics 2012 Conference this week there was a panel discussion and one of the participants put up a slide with the following information:
Based on simple magnet block shape, loose tolerances:
Hard ferrite: $3 to $20 per kg
Alnico: $50 to $100 per kg
SmCo: $120 to $160 per kg
NdFeB: $180 and up per kg

Mike, Nd more than SmCo??
Sm is still more than Nd in terms of raw material prices, and that doesn't even include the Co.

Out of curiosity who is left producing Alnico in the US?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

EdStainless:
Clyde nailed it. The cost for Dy shot up ten-fold last year. It is trending downward, but very slowly. Most NdFeB magnets contain some Dy. The higher the intrinsic coercivity, the higher the Dy content.

To my knowledge, there are only 3 US Alnico suppliers remaining:
Arnold
Thomas & Skinner
Permanent Magnet Company

-Mike

Thanks, As a T&S alum I was interested.

I had forgotten about Dy, it also improves (reduces) the temp coef.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back