Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Price Engineer's Handbook Book Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

markjohnsonii

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2011
US

I am new engineer to the MEP field, and I was presented with this reference. I am overwhelmed by the available resources in the field: codes, standards, among others.

I am looking for an experienced opinion from someone who has evaluated the layout and substance in the Price Engineer's HVAC Handbook.

Would you recommend use it a good, practical, starting point to work from?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have not fully reviewed the whole book (we have the older version). But I consider it to be a really good reference book. ASHRAE Handbooks are good too.

I just received it myself and would have paid good money for this when I first started. I have not done much more than flipped through a few chapters (the healthcare section in particular), it seems pretty practical wheras the ASHRAE books can get a bit technical. Just from a quick look chapters 1,5,6 or 11 & 8 looked like good ones to read first. I did not see a practical hydronics chapter (chapter 2 did not look practical) but would read that as well if they have one. Would also recommend Carrier's book, Carrier System Design Manual.

In my prior post the ASHRAE books I was referring to are the Handbooks. They actually have several self-study or continuing ed books/courses that I still refer to this day including Fundamentals of Water System Design, Fundamentals of HVAC Systems and Fundamentals of Controls. If you need continuing ed in particular I think they are worth the $.

A rep recently dropped a couple of these off at our office and I've been flipping through it for a few nights. I think its a great practical textbook. Good for anyone just starting out and I'm sure I refer back to it at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back