Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Price for sewer pipe 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason7

Civil/Environmental
Jun 30, 2004
US

Could anyone please tell me a site where the prices of pipes are listed. I am trying to verify an engineer's estimate for a residential development. The engineer has quoted a price of $13 for an 8" PVC pipe. I think it is low. Can anyone help me here? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Probably not a site (you will have to search for this type of data)

call your local supplier and ask for the price of pipe
then add on costs to excavate the trench, provide the bedding material, lay the pipe, backfill, provide compaction tests, leakage tests, mobilzation, bonds, insurance, contingencies, and last but not least - profit. I would expect more like $40 - $50 if you are in Scottsdale, Arizona. You will need to adjust for your locality.

Thanks cvg. I am in California. I was thinking in the same price range as you had suggested. Thanks for your help.

Was the original estimate provided as a supply and install unit price or a supply of pipe only with installation covered as a seperate unit price(s) to cover various installation differences on the jobsite such as lengths of wet excavations, different bedding requirements or urban vs rural x-sections on the same run of pipe.

KRS Services

KRS,The original estimate provided is for a supply and install unit price. Thanks for your imput. Appreciate it.

Since I am way north of Southern California, I would tend to listen to those whom are intimately familiar with the pricing trends there. Although it could be as simple as a clerical error, it may also be that there are additional items which may cover off some of the "rule of thumb" costs, such as stripping, and pregrading lowering the total excavation depth. The best bet would be to contact the engineer in question and ask for an explanation of the cost estimate.

I would think that the $13.00 figure would barely cover the pipe costs, unless it is a thinner walled medium.

KRS Services

Hi,

Just to compare, in Turkey it is around 8-9 $/m2 including all the costs that Mr.Cvg mentioned on his e-mail.

Regards,
Avs

I often use the Means Construction Estimating manual for getting close enough without being an actual bidder. I use it to get Engineers Estimates often required along with a design. You can also see posted bid results on municipal web sites. Google "bid tabulation" and I'll bet you find a price for 8-inch PVC. If you have a connection with a county, city, or state, they often have a database of costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back