Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Primer on revisions and numbering

Status
Not open for further replies.

flycast

Mechanical
Mar 26, 2001
US
Really dumb question but...
Can someone please point me to a good tutorial on managing project files. I am experimenting with a vault program and it has me thinking about some very basic questions about how to set up a system.

On any one project typically we are creating an assembly that contains many subassemblies and parts. We develop the model until it is ready for production and then output files for machinists to machine from. The software that I am looking at (Solidworks Workgroup PDM) can have lifecycle management, primary, secondary, tertiary and working revisions.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

PDM (Product Data Management) systems would work fine. Companies set them up, according to your needs.

if the team is a small one and the approval process is a simple one, you could also consider Configuration Management Tools (e.g. Subversion, Tortoise, etc.)

An important thing is reusability. If you will re-use some of the parts in other projects, than a database (PDM) is a favorable option, probably a must.

We are using TeamCenter Engineering (a full suite PDM, from Siemens) for product data management. I don't know how they set up the system though. There's a department responsible for setting up and configuring and adopting the system.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back