Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Primer Paints 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can anyone inform me as to why toxic dichromate primer paints are still used to prevent corrosion on aluminum surfaces (namely airplane fuselages)? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cost and performance. We were looking at converting from a hexavalent (highly toxic) chromate conversion coating to a trivalent (non-toxic) chromate coating, but the trivalent cost more. From what I've read the trivalent chromium costs roughly 30% more than hexavalent. We were also told that the trivalent coating would not meet our 96 hour salt fog test requirement whereas the hexavalent would.

I don't know what the cost is on the paint you are talking about however we are using a one part polyurethane coating that can cover 200 - 300 square feet per gallon (depending on substrate and its' condition) @ approx. $150 per gallon. It can surpass 1500hrs of salt fog testing, with R-9 results and it is USDA approved (lead & chromite free). We find it the perfect solution around our growhouses.

We have developed a coating that is used for both internals and externals of Aircraft substrates.
The coating is water based non flamable and has a VOC contenet of less than 250*/lt.
It has excellent adhesion to a number of exotic metals including Stainless aluminium and brass.
The material is sprayed on using ultra low pressure /ultra low volume equipment and does not require the use of solvents.
It has a class 1 spread of flame capability.
We have a range of test data including accelorated weathering etc.
for further info contact info@globalsolutionsuk.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back