Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

print screen button

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnixon

Computer
Nov 16, 2004
GB
Hi all,

My question is this. I have on the catia (v4) screen a textual list of ditto's that I want to print off using the 'print screen' button on the unix (SUN) keyboard.

How does this work, as just pressing the key does not seem to do anything.
Does doing this require another program on the SUN m/c?

thanks,
Dave.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What the print screen button does is it just captures an image of what is shown. Once you do this you then have to paste it into a programme such as paint(windows programme).

Thanks Kapmc, but where is the image file that is created from the print screen key, to put into Windows?

Thanks again,
Dave

The print screen button is the same idea as copy and paste
(ctrl-c or ctrl-v)the computer holds the image in its memory,(clipboard) it only releases it when you paste it into a specfic prgramme.

Thanks all, now it is clear about the functionality of PRINT SCRN key. But dnixon is asking a question on how to do it on Unix? It would be really useful if we can do it on Unix machines. For example in Windoes we can paste these captured images on any "IMAGINNG application " or MS office tools. But where we should we paste it in Unix?

Thanks catiaquest. You have hit the problem on the proverbial head.
I now know what happens when the printscreen button is pressed, but how do I get it out of memory/clipboard into a printable location? For example, do I press the printscreen button again to paste it into an active text file in the unix desktop? but this does not produce anything.

Note: this problem is on a SUN/Solaris unix m/c.

Compared to using an IBM AIX/unix m/c: I believe when you press the printscreen button it creates a tiff file and deposits it automatically into the users $HOME/db directory from where it can be printed.
This does not happen on a SUN/Solaris unix m/c.

Thanks all for your continued efforts. Dave.

It was some time since I last worked on a solaris station but it is similar as you described on the AIX system, but I can't remember the correct path or what the file is called. Sorry...

On aix/unix IBM
When viewing your model, you go to "tools" "screen grab". This will show you which directory the tiff image is going to. Since you can not do a "tools" "scren grab" when listing details, you do a print screen. This generates a tiff in the same directory. Then you move the tif to a pc.

Is any of this an option with the SUN?

Hi rickyt,

Thanks for your description of screen grabs and printscreen for catia V4 on aix, and this I know about.

For CATIA v4 on solaris this is the same for 'tools' but unfortunately, this does not appear to be the way printscreen works on Solaris.

Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back