Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing Actual Size Templates

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieseldoggy

Marine/Ocean
Mar 7, 2015
US
I am drawing actual size templates on my architectural Auto Cad, however when I bring the pdf version to Staples to print it is always much smaller scale.
Can somebody tell me how to print actual sizes when I am drawing actual sizes.
thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you plotting to pdf from model? Make sure "Fit to paper" is unchecked. In the drop down window next to "Scale" click on 1:1.

Doug

I used to make full size templates for developments in sheet metal. We had so many incidents of plotting at not quite the right scale and having to throw away the result, that I got in the habit of putting a dimension somewhere on every plot development, and appending to the dimension a space for date and initials, and insisting that everyone actually verify that the plotted dimension line actually corresponded to the dimension before cutting out the template.

... and that was using a real rollfed plotter, driven directly by AutoCAD, and storing the template as a .dwg or .dxf file.

Now, about Acrobat. PDF files were intended to be a format where the author, only, determined how the image appeared. For reasons of their own, Adobe seemed to think that automatic scaling to the presentation page was a desirable thing. ... which makes .pdf files pretty much useless for engineering.

... none of which helps with your problem.

If you know which plotter is in use at your local Staples, maybe you can use AutoCAD to write a .plt file appropriate to that plotter to a thumbdrive, and copy that to the plotter at the store. It will probably take a few trips to get it right; sorry.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I just printed a dimension of 6" to pdf from model view to a pdf set at 1:1. Opened the pdf in Adobe Reader and printed it set to "Actual Size". Granted, my eyes aren't what they used to be but my Stanley Power Lock showed it spot on. Printed with an old HP DeskJet 5650.

If you are printing from a layout make sure that the "Standard Scale" of the viewport is also set to 1:1. I wasted some paper years ago figuring this one out.

Doug

This problem comes up again and again with DWG and DXF files, As I have mentioned before, I put a check square (dimensioned) in an out of the way corner of the plot, to allow. whoever is plotting or cutting a part, to reset their machine accordingly.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

This is common that when we send out drawings for water-jetting parts, we draw a one inch square in the middle of the drawing so the machine operator can calibrate the water jet to the actual drawing. But I agree that Staples should be able to accommodate you. Isn't that their job? Maybe a few of donuts for Staples workers could help them figure it out.

Thanks everyone. The 1 to 1 worked. Now I just need to figure out how save the drawing so it does not cut in half. For some reason the print cut in half. More trials and many errors to come.

Many times I am using as follows.
The first draw the rectangle frame according to paper size. Then within that frame fitting the shape or template.
In the Page Setup Manager making settings: Plot area set to Window and selecting that frame. Check the orientation Portrait or Landscape. Check printable area origin set to Center and Plot Scale to 1:1.

Always getting the best results.

If the shape is to big and does not fit to the paper frame, use larger paper or draw more frames that one intersect another and the shape will fit within several frames. Draw the grid on the shape as well. After the plotting each frame with the fragment of the shape the grid will help to stick all peaces to one sheet.

Hope it helps.

A trick I use to make sure the AutoCAD plot is the same paper size as the plotter:

-Install drivers for a 'ghost printer' ( is what I use)
-Do a print-to-pdf or export using this instead of the autoCAD drivers with the layout paper size set to whichever size you want
-This will result in the PDF having a size that actually matches the layout size you selected rather than trying to make it up with different sets of A5 sheets.

Note: I haven't done this with 1:1 drawings, so do a couple test prints to confirm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back