Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing only maximum Joint displacements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsengr

Structural
Apr 3, 2005
US
Hi, everyone. I have got a question here of getting STAAD-Pro 2006 to print an output showing just the maximum displacement at certain nodes. Is this possible? Can I get STAAD to print this out, instead of me getting STAAD just printing joint displacements and for me to manually locate the minimum and maximum displacements at each other? The manual option is not very good as it is tedious, time-consuming and there is a chance that I might miss something.

I know STAAD has got a command, like, say
PRINT JOINT DISPLACEMENTS LIST 1 2 3

Is there something to like,
PRINT MAXIMUM DISPLACEMENTS LIST `1 2 3

If there isn't this specific command to output the maximum displacement at certain selected joints or nodes, is there a general command that will give me the same output?

Hope someone's got answers. Thanks, y'all.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume that you want the maximum and minimum (for negative directions) displacement for all the load cases listed and for each joint listed.

You can access the joint displacements in the post processor. Then click on the upper left corner of the table of values to select the entire table. Copy this to the clipboard and then paste it into a blank Excel worksheet. You can figure out how you want everything sorted to get the maximums and minimums that you need.

Thanks, SteveGregory for your response and yeah, you assumed correctly. I was wanting the maximum and minimum (for negative directions) displacements for all the load cases and for each joint listed in the x-, y- or z-axes.

I guess I was hoping that there'd be a "neat" little command that will provide the maximum and minimum nodal displacements along the x-, y- or z-axes). I know now that there is no such command (maybe, a future STAAD command?)

I can, however, go into the Displacement tab of the Post-processing folder and by highlighting the particular node, I can get the displacements I need. I can then "copy and paste" the displacements onto an Excel spreadsheet, for instance, and by using the sort feature of Excel can get my minimum and maximum displacements. Highlighting the top right corner box selects all the displacements.

Oh BTW, I noticed another box below the Node Displacements. The bottom boxes are called All Relative Displacement and Max Relative Displacement. Do you all know what information do the bottom boxes provide?

I just fired up STAAD and pulled up an old file and went to the post processor and lo and behold I found it. 3 windows appear. One is a graphic of the structure and 2 windows with deflection data in table form. The top table lists node displacements and has 2 tabs. One tab shows all displacements and the other tab called "summary" gives the maximum and minimum displacements. I think this is what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back