Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pro E Crashes When.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulseteq

Mechanical
Apr 10, 2003
GB
Can anyone point me in the right direction with with the following problems.

I am currently running Pro E 2001 (2002180) on Win 2000 Professional, 1024 ram and Diamond Fire GL1 (256 ram) video card and have recently been running into the following problems.

a) When booting up Pro E dialogue box appears with "MC_SERVER.EXE - ENTRY POINT NOT FOUND" or " NMSQ.EXE -ENTRY POINT NOT FOUND".
b) When opening a file (with preview button depressed) Pro E crashes without opening file especially on assemblies.
c) Occasionally when booting up Pro E dialogue box with "XTOP.EXE - NOT RESPONDING", after clicking OK button Pro E crashes.

Can you please advise on the above

Many thanks in advance

Paul

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I know xtop.exe is a windows program and has nothing to do with ProE. I'm guessing the other programs you've mentioned are the same.

If you're running ProE from a licence server check that your computer is connected properly to the licence server. After that I think your problems are more with your windows installation than with ProE.

Unless somebody has a better idea, try windows tech support or possibly the tech-tips forum to see whether anybody else is getting the same error messages from windows or knows what's wrong.

I've been happily running ProE2001 on a P400 with 256Mb RAM for the last year or so and still haven't had ProE crash. The worst I've had are a few graphical errors in programs running while ProE is running. Assemblies of more than 50 reasonably complex parts are not an option though :-D

Xtop.exe is the ProE executable, and all the other files mensioned are also related to Pro. I would log a call with PTC tech support, since it may be an issue with device drivers. Have you tried upgrading/downgrading video drivers to supported versions? How about reinstalling Pro? Are there a number of background applications running, hogging system resources?
-Derek

I have the same problem with Pro E crashing when I try to open a file (either directly or when trying to add to an assembly). A funy loophole is that if Pro E and Ansys are running, and I open a Pro E file in Ansys, it also loads in Pro E. So this is one way for me to open my Pro E files, but is definately not a permanent solution because Pro E still crashes when I try to add a part to an assembly. So bassically, any time it tries to launch a dialog box to choose a file (either adding into an assembly, or just File -> Open) it crashes. Also, if I try to change working directory, it crashes. I really would appreciate any help. I've re-installed it twice with no change, and the directory has been different every time (no spaces the last time, still didn't work). Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back