Pro/e .drw BATCH conversion to .dwg/.dxf

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechanicalAnimal

Mechanical
Apr 3, 2007
HR
Hello all,

I have a question about .drw conversion to .dwg or .dxf format for (Auto)CAD. Within the company I work for, .dwg (or .dxf) is the required standard for final documentation to be archived in. As I work with Creo 2.0, the final "job" of manually converting all of my .drws to .dwg I find to be unnerving, tiring and grueling and would like to avoid it or at least speed it up as much as possible.
So my questions are:

1. Ideally, is there a tool which could batch-covert a list of .drw files to .dwg?

2. Alternatively, is there a way to convert all sheets within a single .drw file into 1 or several .dwg/.dxf files with a single click? The way I do it now - Save As..->Export->Dwg - creates a single .dwg file containing the... content, of the currently active sheet. As my drawings often have 3-8 sheets, I am required to manually repeat this procedure for each separate sheet.

Notes:
- number of .dwg files isn't an object; whether multiple sheets are stored into a single file or many separate files is no problem as long as they don't overlap
- scale isn't an object; both 1:1 or original drawing scale is acceptable

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have ProductView Adapter to publish your drawings, it can be set to output in DXF.

On a side note, using a proprietary format for archive is long past. PDF is more universally accepted and easier to get a reader for.

Save-As PDF will convert all the sheets in your drawing to a single PDF file.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Thank you very much for your reply - I will do research on ProductView Adapter! :)

As for the format, sadly I am not in authority position to set the policy of the firm.

I do agree with your second statement, but whispers in the ears of those who can make the policy change may do something.

PDF is more universally readable than DWG.
PDF reader is free.
PDF format for the viewables means someone cannot change it with AutoCAD.
lots of subtle hints as to the practicality of using PDF over DWG and they may eventually listen.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

While we do archive drawings in PDF for the reasons Ben mentioned, it has a lot of drawbacks too. You can not easily verify the size of anything, you can't use it to create a new variant, etc. A CAD editable file like dxf & dwg can be of use later on if you need to do some investigating or as a starting point for a new design.

As far as the conversion goes, I think it can be done in Pro/Batch although I must admit I have never tried.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Hi.

Pro/batch can do all that ( export to many formats ) all is already prepared ( export to dwg ( single or multipage ), dxf iges step etc., with similar option file you can also configure an xml file to output desired line colors etc.,

Br.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back