Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pro/e FEM apply a moment load to a shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

grividm

Mechanical
Jun 28, 2012
CA
I am using pro/e wildfire 5.0. I do not have mechanica, so only fem mode is avaible to me, I run ansys after to solve.

The piece is a shaft with a gear on the end, it is a solid element. I have constrained the surface of one tooth, but now I need to apply a moment load (50 Nm) for the shaft.

I've been looking on the web and the help files quite a bit and I found two methods

1. Apply a force/moment load on the end surface of the shaft, use total load at point. The help files in pro/e even show an image with arrows indicating the forces around the axis and that's exactly what I need. The only issue is that when the force/moment load dialog box opens and I click advanced, the only options I have for distribution is total load and force per unit area, there is no option for total load at point. I have no idea why it is not there.

2. The other option that I saw was apply a force load (moment load value/radius of shaft, that's a value in newtons, right?) on the end of the shaft using a cylindrical coordinate system that has the same axis as the shaft (apply the load in the theta component). When I try this (I've tried with the selection as the surface, the edge and the point at the center of the circle), I get the error message "the load is undefined on the ylindrical UCS z axis or the spherical USc teta=0 axis". I do not understand this error message and pro/e won't make the .ans file.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First try posting in the Creo/Simulate/Mechanica forum as this is more appropriate there rather than the general ProE forum.
forum828

I would try to apply the load as in your option #2 but do not use the face of the end of the shaft but create a surface region along the OD or use the edge. I don't have much experience in FEM mode but that should work unless I have misunderstood the intent.

Hope that helps and good luck,

- J -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back