Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pro-e Point Import 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

samukeliso

Mechanical
Jul 27, 2011
GB
I am trying to import 3D points and area from a file to pro engineer. Its a complex shape so it has many points and I need to define the area by small triangles to get the final volume. Help :(

ps I can import the points but how do I define the area or volume

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Points by themselves do not define a solid. You will need to build a surface through your points, then solidify it to have a solid model.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Thanks looslib, but how do I define the solid. I have the coordinates and know which points to join. All I want is the way to log them on notepad for ProEng to understand.

Just need a text file with the x, y, z locations (assuming cartesian coordinate system. Each coordinate is space delimited such as:
0 0 0
1 2 3
3 2 4
2.1 2.2 2.3

Rename the file with a ".pts" extension. Insert points into a part file using Insert / Model Datum / Point / Offset Coordinate System. Select the reference coordinate system and then import your points file.

<tg>

Thanks telecomguy, I have done that but only get the points. In your example:
0 0 0
1 2 3
3 2 4
2.1 2.2 2.3
how do I joint point 0 0 0 to point 1 2 3 to point 3 2 4 to create an area? How do I write it on notepad for ProEng to understant and recognise? I have thousands of these points and its impossible to do it manually.

Sounds like you should be using a different software package. Are your points from some sort of scan? You need some program that can mesh point files, like Geomagic. Pro/E was not designed to mesh point data.

You will have to either create a curve through points which if planer you can then fill to attain an area, or sketch using the points as reference producing a closed shape which you can the then fill and query the area. Or if the points are scans through a shape you could try creating a boundary blend which you can cap and solidify to a solid. It depends on what the end result needs to be

You're asking Pro/E to do two things at once.

The data you're providing is a list of points. Pro/E is creating a set of datum points from it. That's task 1.

Task 2 is a major mathematical step, whereby the cloud of points are connected with best fit set of triangles to generate a continous outside surface and solid volume. (That is, to make it look like an FEA mesh or STL model). That is a much bigger thing to do than import the points. The term for this is tessellation.

That said, Pro/ SCANTOOLS might have the functionality you're looking for to generate a boundary made of triangular surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back