Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pro/E - radial hole pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dad1

Mechanical
Dec 9, 2005
I am using Pro/E 200i2 and have a question on making a radial hole pattern around a center hole. I am creating a center hole and then want to try to sketch four radial holes around it to mount a flange. I don't want to go back to the edge of the plate. How do I use the center hole as my main dimensioning feature??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would recommend creating the hole as a radial hole and then patterning that around the axis. I havent touched 2000i2 in a few years so I can't recall the commands off hand.

Sketching hole patterns is generally a bad idea, since you lose Pro/E's ability to create reference patterns when mounting the hardware.

If you do want to sketch them out, however, selecting the axis as a single sketch reference will allow you to do this. It will show up as a single point, from which you can create a construction circle and centerlines to dimension your holes.

I assume you want to make one hole that is dimensioned from the center hole, and then make a pattern to include the additional 3 holes. Correct?

If so, simply create a hole and use the center hole or axis as the 2 locating dimensions (x and y direction). When you make the pattern (pick identical, it regens faster), and then pick the skecthed hole and pick the 2 dimensions (in the x and y directions) as your pattern increments. Remeber to use a negative incrment value if you need to go the opposite direction from your first sketched hole.

Let me know if you need more info.

As a tip, you can use the General pattern option, and make your pattern. This way, even if your dimensions are off and the holes are created off the part and in empty space, the Pattern will not fail.

Steve

Dad1,

Question:
Do you want all the holes to be identical to the center one?
Do you care if you have multiple holes in the center?

Best Method:
If you only want your Radial holes to be identical then you can create the second hole using the radial placement option from the drop down at the Right side of the hole creation dialog If a big window does not pop up when creating the hole then the 2000i2 hole placement UI has been turned off.
By using radial as place ment type you can select the axis of the center hole as the radial reference and select a datum or face to give an angle dim.
After creating this hole you will have an angle dimension to use to pattern your feature using identical as pattern type.

Table Method: harder to modify but no repeat features
Create first hole as radial hole. make dist 0 and angle 30
they will appear in table in the order you pick them
Feature > Pattern pick hole feature
[PAT OPTIONS] Identical > Done
[PAT DIM INCR] Table
Pick your Radial Dim
Pick your Angle Dim
hit DONE
!idx# dRAD dANG
1 0 0
2 10 45
3 10 135
4 10 225
5 10 315

Questionable modeling practice: Easiest to create, repeated
If you want all holes in the pattern to be the same as the center one. And dont mind having multiple holes at center. You can create an axis to reference and use it to place the center hole as a radial hole. Then pattern using the angle in First direction and Radial dimension as the Second direction. Using this method all holes will be identical but you will have multiples in the center.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back