Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pro-e to Solid Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlawrence

Military
Jun 30, 2005
US
I have been working on Pro-e for over 7 years and now I am working for a company thinking of changing systems from Pro-e to Solid Edge. We have piping, harnesses, family tables and big assemblies with some relationships. Has anybody been through this change and can they tell me any pro’s and con’s that we are going to be dealing with.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd take a serious look at Wildfire before dumbing-down to S-E. Conversions are going to be a challenge, and while PRO-E is step-intensive, the power is worth the investment. S-E is a good tool, but I'd start out first with a well executed pilot project, and do some serious evaluations before committing to migrating to S-E. One good "poor-man's" approach is to select a moderately stringent project and mirror it in S-E & PRO-E to see if you are willing to make the change. You don't have to have a senior-level S-E hand, as someone moderately experienced will help you examine things like how to FIGURE OUT a technique or how to struggle thru the S-E help system, something you almost NEVER get with a whiz-bang sales engineer who knows all the "short-cuts". Believe me- S-E's help system is as difficult to navigate and get value from, as the program itself is relatively easy to use. Do us a favor? Report back from time to time with your progress in evaluating and migrating?
Thanks- and good luck!
C. Fee

I worked with a large international company that had a 5+ year investment in Pro-E and they switched to SE based on a one year evaluation. They could not justify the excessive cost of the Pro-E license and the difficulty. During the eval they looked at Solid Works and Wildfire. Solid Edge was chosen for its ease of use and capabilities with large assemblies and with sheet metal.

New computer viruses? That could be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back