Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pro/E Wildfire 5.0 Config.pro Setup 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAREng

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2011
US
I am currently trying to learn pro/e in depth. I am having trouble trying to get full functionality from my options. I will write down my steps.

1. Open Pro/e wf 5.0
2. Tools -> Options

After I complete this a popup window comes up that shows the current settings. My problem is that I don't understand why the options and value boxes are blanked out. It does not allow me to add new options unless I do it "in session". I want to be able to create a set of options that only need to be set once. This is so every time I create an object I do not have to setup my preferences.
I am relatively new to Pro/E so I'm trying to learn all the ins and outs. If there is any helpful text, tutorial site, or book please recommend it to me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make sure you are saving to the config.pro file in your startup directory. To determine the startup directory right click on the link to ProE and select properties. There will be a field that reads "Start in:". This directory is set during the initial installation of ProE (and every time you update) and this is where you need to set and save your config.pro file. It sounds to me as if you are accessing a default config.pro within the installation directory of ProE which you will not be able to overwrite. What we have done here is created a "ProE Startup" folder which we set as the "Start in:" folder for ProE and then set any necessary ProE files in that folder for easy access when needed. For example our config.pro, drawing and part templates, system colors file, hole table files, udf etc. are all within that startup directory. This makes it easy for us to find them when needed.

I have not found much information dealing with this topic but what you are wanting out of the customization of the config.pro is what is was intended for and works quite well once you have it figured out. For general ProE/Creo help and tutorials use PTC.com knowledge base and use their Learning Exchange website (great info here for newer users).

I hope I didn't confuse or misguide you and good luck,

- J -

PTC has quite making their Help Topic Collection manuals, but the WF4 versionmay still be available. One of the manuals in their explains the hows and whys of the config.pro file.
If you don't find it on ptc.com, send me an email to looslib<at>usec.com and I will send you a copy.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

@jvian

You were both absolutely right, I had my proe.exe staring in another folder because I wanted to have control over where the trail files where. I just changed the start in to one of the folders on my c:/ and it worked after I gave it administrative privileges. I may actually just change the folder to an external drive and start it there.

You can force your trail files to a directory.

trail_dir c:\Trail Files

Ben Loosli

Not sure if it affects you, but I found our installations would not permit saving files within the /Program Files/PTC/ directory until I modified the permissions to allow All Users to have Full Control over this folder and subfolders.

You do NOT want to do that. Limit the access to that folder to a system admin. If everyone can make changes, you ebd up with a file that could prevent WF from starting. Those files have the security permissions set the way they do for a reason.

Leave the files in <loadpoint>\text alone and add a user or site config.pro to the start-in directory as defined by the icon used to start WF.

Ben Loosli

I agree with looslib, doing that may result in problems that you cannot recover from. I'm not sure it is ever a wise idea to allow write permissions to program files directory. That I feel is the point of local personal folders. In ProE it is easy enough to set a local data file folder that can be used for everything you need.

Good luck,

- J -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back