Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pro/Engineer close without notice 2 times per day

Status
Not open for further replies.

PD223345

Bioengineer
Jul 13, 2005
CA
Hi,

I am using Pro/Engineer Wildfire 2.0 M80 and one or two times per day , it just closes or freeze ( stay gray ). I updated the drivers to the version that is at PTC page (43.54). I am using a Dell Precision 360 with W2K SP4 and 1Gb of RAM. My video board is a NVidia Quatro4 700XGL.

Thanks,

Paulo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Update to date code M110. M80 is buggy.
Be aware that you are trading one set of bugs for another.
This seems to be the trend with PTC products.

By the way, our reseller says those are not bugs! They are built in smoke breaks!!

They are built in smoke breaks!!
Is that why they called it WildFire :)

PD, Does this happen with no intervention on your part. All the sudden even when not using it, just having it up ... it just dies?

Or is it when you create some feature.. bam or open a assembly.. do you have many files open? other apps. running?
Standard mouse..trackball??... Networked/standalone? InterLuggage? Do you erase>not displayed every once in awhile?

Or I have one file open.. just created a single datum curve and it crashes? Can you make it crash?

Hi cadcamguy,

Q: Does this happen with no intervention on your part. All the sudden even when not using it, just having it up ... it just dies? Or is it when you create some feature? bam or open a assembly ?
A: It happened during a regeneration process

Q: Do you have many files open? other important ( that “eat” memory ) apps. running?
A: Sometimes I have Excel and SourceSafe opened at same time; no music.

Q: Standard mouse or trackball?

A: Standard

Q: Networked/standalone?

A: Networked

Q: Do you erase, not displayed every once in a while? Or you have one file open
A: I usually have a very big assembly (150 parts approx. with complex surface parts) opened and some of its parts

Q: If you create a single datum curve and it crashes? Can you make it crash? I can't make it crash;
A: I have no control on this and I can't repeat it in a desired way.

Regards

Paulo

I am running 53.03 on a Quadro4 980XGL on Win 2000.
I am running 71.84 on a Quadro FX3400 on Win XP.
77.18 is the latest on Nvidia's web site.

I have found the vendor certified drivers are a few revs behind the latest from the vendor. Very seldom have I had problems with the latest drivers. It gets more confused because I am running UG V18 and Wildfire2 on the same machines and they have different certified drivers.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Like Ben's saying make sure you do have the lastest drivers.. check with Nvidia not PTC.

There is always the next date code... trade in one set of problems with another.

No music.. there's the problem :) just kidding sorry
Excel is kind of a systems hog, not real bad, but unless you really need it going ... close it out see if it helps any.

ProE crashes every so often... it always has, 2 times a day is a bit excessive. Other users having the same problems there? It's going to be a bit of detective work. Unless all this started since you changed drivers, then that would stand to reason there may lie the problem

Hi cadcamguy,

I really took the drivers from NVidia page, because I was using another version. I have differents computers that the same problem occurs. I am thinking about update to the last datacode (M130). I am trying to figure out why this happens....

Regards,

Paulo

Paulo,

Did it start around the time you updated drivers? Or was that the reason for the update.

If it has been a ongoing thing and you're on maintenance...PTC canned response will be you need to update

MechLad is saying that M80 is buggy. Probably has been there ... done that

Have you posted over at ptcuser.org newsgroup? Little larger audience over there

cadcamguy,

This was the reason to update the drivers. I will post at ptcuser.org to see if someone has the same problem.

Thanks,

Paulo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back