Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pro-Engineer into 3dStudio, Round things are square !

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim01018

Industrial
Feb 21, 2005
GB
Hi,

Anyone anmswer the above question for me, round things,cylinders, circles appear as polygons or even just triangles ! When i export from pro-e into stl format with the chord height set at max, it helps but still looks blocky, or more like a dodechahedran (or however its spelt). Also, if you have imported one item in and wish to import another item in for assembly purposes say, how is this done, anyone know ?

Thanks all for your help on this and previous questions....

J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yes this is to do with tesselation in 3d max
you need to set it to a higher number which dogs render time
stl isnt the best format though it works

which max 6 or 7

7 is newer and i have noticed even using polytrans things dont quite convert like they used to but the good thing is you can twak the divisions once its into max

Jim,
I find it a bit strange that you put "chord hieght" to max. We use the stl interface quite a lot for prototyping. We usually put in a zero (0)and then take the minimum, which will give a better stl file (high reolution) this however will bump up the file size.

Joe Borg

Thanks all.....

I put the chord height in as a max, cos i thought that might be better...wasnt really sure what i was doing to be honest..will try 0 and see how that fairs..

I use 3d Max 5, company are not looking at upgrading if we cant even use this one !!!

Still struggling to adjust what i bring in though, i cant seem to 'explode' or change any entities on the models, and still cant import two drawings together to assemble..

Cheers anyway !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back