Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pro mechanica: Simulated surface region

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqaurecut

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2011
SE
Hi, a Pro/mechanica newbie here. So bear with me:).

I have a long cylinder. I want to apply a pressure load in the internal surface. But I want to apply the load to only half of the internal surface.

I know I should be using the "simulation surface region" or a "simulation volume region". Which one is more appropriate here.

Is there any good reference which I can look at for this?

Another small question. I managed to make a simulated volume. How one deletes and redefines a volume. Right clicking on volume in the tree does not show any delete option. Is there any other menu I should be looking at.

I am using Pro-e WF 3.0.

Thanks for any kind of help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want to use part of the surface, then you must use create region function in ProMechanica modul (direct sketch or using pre-defined curve). This funcion will split the target surface into two.

Are you working with an instance of a family table? I have had the same thing happen when working with instances and simplified representation within models. If so then you may need to go into the generic model to edit or delete these features. There have been times however when I've created a simulation feature on an instance model which could not exist on the generic (due to exclusion of features from one to the other) and there was no way to deal with the failed feature other than ignore it. There have been many bugs similar to this with the interaction between pro engineer and pro mechanica but none have given me too much grief.

As far as the proper use of the volume and/or surface region that is entirely up to you. I typically use surface regions to define mesh control areas and for constraints and load applications as they typically apply to one side of a part. I do find though that I sometimes wish to constrain the top and bottom surfaces of a bolt washer diameter or something similar and rather than create two surfaces (one on top and one on bottom) I create a volume and extrude it from top to bottom and it by nature creates the two surfaces. It also creates the sides of the cylinder that was extruded within the thickness of the model which can be selected as well. Bottom line use whichever will get you to your goal the quickest and easiest.

Hope that helps,

-J-

Thanks jvian!!!
I managed to apply the pressure load by using the surface option.

Yes, you are right about the bug there. One can ignore as you say.... but I have noticed that with these unwanted simulation volumes in the model, the computation time increases somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back