Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Probably dumb/newbie Hole Wizard question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chale4

Mechanical
Mar 3, 2012
US
Very new SW2011 user, forgive me ahead of time. In using Hole Wizard to create a simple blind drilled hole (i.e. 118 deg end), I am finding it very "unnatural" for the Depth call-out to be stuck with having to be "the depth to the end of the hole diameter", as opposed to, "the depth to the end of the drill bit", i.e., the tip of the 118deg end of the hole! This is, to me, "what counts", when assuring one doesn't break thru, etc. Is there some way to control this, other than to haul out the calculator to do the trig for that part of the depth of the hole, and manually correct the Depth value entered in Hole Wizard, accordingly?? Thanks--chale4, Lafayette CO

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Standards are standards. The depth of a drilled hole is measured to the depth of the full diameter, not the tip, so the Hole Wizard is doing the right thing. If you want to do something different you certainly can, but you'll have to modify your approach.

Notice that the hole wizard creates two sketches, one for the revolved cut profile and the other for the location. You could edit the revolved cut sketch to control the depth to the tip, or you could use the special hole feature where you can control the complete profile.

- - -Updraft

'you can simply use a note added to your callout like "DO NOT BREAK THRU"'

huh? Why even model the hole if you're going to do something like that? That's just throwing the whole thing back onto the machinist/operator. If you're going to do that, heck, just mark the center and put a callout "____ Dia HOLE TO AT LEAST ____ DEPTH. DO NOT BREAK THRU".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back