Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem in creating "distance against s22 plot" of a composite beam using history output 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucifer12

Mechanical
Feb 24, 2019
GB
Greetings,

I'm doing wave propagation analysis of a beam by applying a harmonic load at one end of the beam whilst holding it fixed against a wall (cantilever beam) with rolling supports applied at surfaces other than loading surface. The image illustrates my project:

2_t7qhqw.png

In doing so, I'm trying to investigate stress plots along the length of the composite at particular nodes and obtain reaction force for the set named "fix". I have done the following so far:

a) Create three nodal sets at varying heights: starting from the edge of the fibre till the boundary of the matrix. And created a reaction set for the fixed end.
b) Create history output using sets and appropriate variables. In this case I created "reaction force" and "s22 for the nodal sets", for evenly timed intervals of 2000.

However when I look at the History output variables i get loads of variables! It is something like this:
Capture_w00c8d.png

In the figure above I can't even find most of my nodes in the node set created before post-processing.

I have only two steps: initial and pulse load, when I try to plot using history output I seem to only get one plot, would someone mind explaining what this plot actually represents (maybe reaction force as it says)?

2_l7xp9n.png

My supervisor for this dissertation doesn't seem to like the fact that I can use field output to convey my results and he seems adamant on this matter so I am kind of forced to use history output (at the moment trying to work with element sets). If i were to use field output I would've been done for my results weeks ago! Time is of essence.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How many nodes do these sets include ? You can check it easily by editing, querying, replacing in display group or manually verifying INP file for node set definitione. Remember that the history data object will be generated for each node in the set. Do you need the plots for all nodes or just one for them all ? In case of the latter you should use some averaging or max/min value extraction from the generated nodal results data.

FEA way, I have solved the problem with element sets instead of nodal sets, and its more convenient that way. However, before I depart are you implying the reaction force in the plot is nonsensical?

No, but if you chose one of these objects displayed in history output window (second picture in your first post) and plotted it then the resulting plot shows the value of reaction force only for one node, not for the whole boundary consisting of many nodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back