Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Loading IDF Curves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinkie

Civil/Environmental
Jan 4, 2012
US
All these years I've never used HydroCAD for Rational Method!

So anyway, I downloaded a NOAA IDF Curve, following the Help Menu, and the IDF Curve shows up when I click "View IDF" under Calculation Setting>Rainfall but it doesn't seem to be loading. I can not get the red bar "IDF File not specified - Enter intensity directly" to go away.

The Sample IDF Files that come installed do not appear to be loading either.

Am I missing a step somewhere?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you select View|IDF you should see the Sample IDF files that are preinstalled with HydroCAD. If nothing appears, run the HydroCAD setup program to restore the sample files.

For your NOAA file, make sure you saved it with an HCI extension. If it has a different extension, change the extension by using Windows rename. (To do this, Windows must be configured to display ALL extensions, otherwise it will hide the actual extension so you cannot change it.)

Note: DO NOT open and resave the download. Just save the download directly and use rename to change the extension if required. If you load and resave the file (in a spreadsheet, for example) you will alter the file, making it unusable. Just download and use rename.

For ease of use, move the file to the HydropCAD/IDF folder, along with the sample IDF files. Then you will be able to select it on the IDF tab in each project.

You can also double-click any HCI file from Windows and it will open in the HydroCAD IDF viewer.

For further details please see
If you still have problems please post your IDF/HCI file

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure I followed along correctly, all the sample IDF curves and my IDF curve are visible. They just do not load in the calculation menu. The curves are all visible in the IDF viewer when I select each, but they are just not loading for use.

I have attached the IDF file.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4e946ec9-1a70-4b44-b570-6c7fc462fdd9&file=PA_Region_5.hci
Your file is fine.

All the files that are visible in the IDF viewer will be available on the Rainfall tab of the calculation settings screen in the box labeled "IDF File". Click the down-arrow to expand the list and the files will appear. Then select an event from the "IDF Event" box. (Of course, you must have the runoff procedure set to Rational Method before you can select an IDF file.)

Screenshot_2016-04-28_10.22.06_ajwztv.png

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Peter, thank you. I was trying to select the file through the "View IDF" button. I feel silly now.

Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back