Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Problem opening large Solid Edge files

Status
Not open for further replies.

nocam1334

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2004
I am having trouble opening large solid models of engines sent to us by our vendors. Generally, the vendors work in Solid Works and have to convert to one of the following formats that Solid Edge recognizes:

*.x_t (Parasolid)
*.stp (step file)
*.igs or *.iges (IGES file)

I get a message saying something about Solid Edge closing due to low memory resources. I have tried getting the vendors to send us different filetypes which hasn't seemed to work. I am trying to open them as assemblies. If anyone has any advice or experience in opening these converted file types I would appreciate any help.

On a side note, we just upgraded our computers, which includes a high end graphics card (NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700), 3 or 4 gigs of ram, and a Xeon processor. So I don't think our computer hardware should be the issue, but maybe I am overlooking something.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It may well be the hardware that's the issue.

There's been a few threads about opening up large files, some by me.

First off, how big are the files, how many parts & does it have lots of layers of sub-assy's or is it fairly 'flat'?

Second, if you have 4GB memory, have you done the 3GB switch? Details are on here somewhere if you need them.

Parasolid is probably your best option of those listed, SE converts step to parasolid before turning it into an SE file anyway.

We finally got around our issues dealing with large assemblies by going to 64 bit and getting lots of RAM, something like 16GB.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies: What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

File sizes vary, anywhere between 96MB to 575 MB. They are all engines so I imagine there are a lot of parts. I am not sure about the layers or sub assemblies.

I will look up the 3GB switch, have not heard of that.

I did find out from Solid Edge support that parasolid is the best option, but I am still having trouble with those, too.

I am not sure if our new computers are 64 bit or not, I will have to check.

nocam, my guess is fundamentally your files are just too big for your hardware.

Either ask for some kind of stripped out/simplified version from your vendor, or go 64 bit and bulk up the ram.

There are various things that can help once you get the file to open but you aren't even getting that far.

Another thing worth looking at is network speed but I don't thing that will affect the out of memory issue, it's just a general performance thing.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies: What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I just had the /3GB switch added to the boot file on my workstation and it's improved things.
Your best bet might be to go to XP64, then you can put as much RAM in as you can afford and it will all be available.

To add the /3GB switch in a safe way (you need to have Administrator rights) :
Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced

Then click Settings in the Startup & Recovery part, then Edit on the next menu.
This will open up the Boot.ini file.

You should see a line something like this

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Copy and paste this line below the original and then change the new line to

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB"
/noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /USERVA=2900

(It should all be on one line)
Notice that I changed the bit inside the quotes.

This will give you 2 options at boot time - the default will be without the switch implemented, the second with it,
so if anything goes wrong you should still be able to boot the machine.

Now save and close notepad.

On the Startup and Recovery menu make sure that the original line is set as the default operating system, and that you set the "Time to Display List of Operating Systems" to 10 seconds, and that the checkbox next to that is checked.
OK that menu to save and close it, OK on the next one.

Now reboot the system and you should see the two boot options displayed - make sure you select the 3GB option.
You will have to select this everytime it boots or the switch will not be enabled, but it's safer this way.
That's all there is to it.
Try it for a while then when you know everything is stable you can swap the default boot to the 3GB option.

Please note that I can't be held responsible if your computer breaks !!

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

I suggest first trying the system without the /USERVA switch. Only if the system shows signs of instability would you need to include it. Most systems do not need it. You could a 3rd line choice without it.

All the /USERVA=2900 switch does is fine tune the /3GB effect by reduce the actual 3GB (3072MB) option to 2900MB. The number can be varied from 0 to 3072.
O would completely nullify the effect of the 3GB switch, while 3072 would have no effect.

Look in the help file under "Working with large assemblies", there you will find information regarding the 3GB switch. The other thing you need is to change the setting for the translator configuration file, ImportDoNotSave=OFF if memory serves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back