Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem running IDEAS NX 10m3 in windows xp 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

feadude

Mechanical
Dec 23, 2003
US
I just installed ideas nx 10 and then ideas 10m1 and ideas 10ms (ideas 10m2 is supposed to be included in ideas 10m3) as upgrades. I get the following message:

internal security error : -97
you can not connect to the IDEAS flexlm lock server. please review your license file and resource locking configuration.

Can anybody please help?
thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

LeonEng:
Mine is a take home license at home in a PC.
How do I restart the flexlm server?
Do I need to do anything at work? The one at work is a standalone.
SDRC does not support the take home installation but they allow one free take home license , which is what I have.
The one at work is on windows 2000 but the one at home is on a windows xp. The problem is with the one at home.
Thank You

feadude,
Can you check whether you have the FlexLm Manager installed as well on your home PC? I have the FlexLm Manager installed although my workstation is not the license server. You can check for the 'FlexLm Manager' icon in the control panel. Open the 'FlexLm Manager' and click 'stop' then 'start' in the 'control' tab. I never deal with home license before & not sure whether it works or not. Hope this help.

LeonEng:
I tried that it did not work.Under diagnostic tab-connection, it can successfully connect to the server but under licenses tab -show license file- the command prompt (the black dos window) it opens just for a fraction of a second and then it closes. I can not read what it says because it goes away so fast. Does yours do the same thing?
thank you

A follow up question.
Does IDEAS 10 require partitioning of hard drive or only one drive ie C: will work for windows XP?
thank you

feadude,
I can read the license file correctly at the license server.
The following items may help to check for the problems:
1. are you selected 'full installation' during setup.
2. in the Flexlm Manager- setup tab, is the lmgd.exe, license file, log file path correctly directed to the related file in <installation drive:/SDRC/sec> folder
3. Edit the license file (sdrc_MsX.lic)in the <installation drive:/SDRC/sec> folder with notepad. Make sure the hostname in the 1st line is your actual PC name:
SERVER <your PC name> ... ...
4. open the 'lmtools' in the same folder, in service/license file tab, select 'configure using service', it should automatically set to flexlm license manager. in start/stop/reread tab, reread license file & restart the server. Perform checksum in the utilities tab, you should find your PC name appear as server.
5. Edit the following line in the setup_varbs file(in the SDRC/bin folder)
SDRC_MS9_LICENSE_FILE=7609@<your PC name>
make sure your PC name is correct.

The above prosedure is for my Ideas9 setup, but i think should not be big difference in ideas10. i prefer to setup ideas in a separate partition to prevent potential interference with other applications, but not sure whether it's really heal. Hope these will work.

LeonEng:
In #5 when I try to edit it , it comes up in the prompt window and keeps scrolling and then it goes out. It does not allow me to edit it.
thank you

feadude,
Do not open the setup_varbs file. just select the file & right-mouse click. select 'edit' from the RMC menu & the the content will be display in notepad. Edit the line & save the file & it's done.

Anything non-IA is always a gamble with CAD systems, but there's no real reason it shouldn't work (though overclocking or other such hacks for any CPU could expose issues that wouldn't otherwise manifest ;-).

On the Fat32, if it allows an install to happen, it's typically not a problem, though Fat32 is inherently less stable/robust than NTFS for a variety of reasons.

Your issue is with the licensing system, not anything else.

Have you discussed these issues with your admin from work?

BTW, this kind of issue can also be related to Firewall-type software you may have running (be sure all the various I-DEAS processes are granted FULL access to the internet, or it's likely NOT to work).

-e

hinterneder
Thank you for your help. I converted my hard drive file system from FAT32 to NTFS, removed IDEAS and then reinstalled it but still it does not work. In I-DEAS OPEN GL this is what I get:
'and' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
'C:\Documents' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Somewhere the spaces between &quot;Documents&quot; and &quot;and&quot; and &quot;and&quot; and &quot;Settings&quot; in C:\Documents and Settings is not recognized by Enviroment Variables in the System . If I know where that Enviroment Variable is I can include it in quotation marks and it will work but I do not know where it is.
Thank You

feadude,

I think you need to be aware that I-DEAS, at least as of IMS9, doesn't really like spaces in it's naming conventions (though underscores (_) instead will work fine).

Now, that may have changed with 10 (aka NX), but I would suggest you try uninstall, then reinstall it to some root directories (ie, c:\SDRC and c:\Team which were the defaults in IMS9, or similar)

FYI, this program came from Unix originally, where spaces are considered forbidden, so even if it works sometimes, you're likely to get bitten (and this applies generally when using any program that runs on non-Windows OS's).

Worst case, we can look through the various config files, but that likely won't help if your install locations require the spaces in your filenames/locations/etc.

BR,
-ed

I just realized (re-reading the RodYoung1 thread you were posting on), delete the ideas_param10 file in 'My Documents' as this is most likely a problem.

Then double check to see that any of the other config files (ie, text that's readable by Notepad) in your C:\Team\Master and in ...\Config sub-directory are clean of any references to any directories with spaces in the name. BTW, and *param* files in C:\Team\Master can simply be deleted to reset users to 'system defaults' (ie, the ones listed in the config sub-directory).

Worst case you may end-up where Rod is now ;-)

I finally got rid of &quot;and&quot; and &quot;C:\documents&quot; in the prompt window by changing my home directory from C:\documents and settings to C:\feadude . Now if I can only get rid of Resource Locking problem. I am looking for a tab called &quot;resource locking and file security&quot; in &quot;advanced team properties&quot; window, any one knows where the tab or the window is? I am getting this info from page 54 of I-DEAS Release 9 Installation Guide for MS Windows. Yes I know I am trying to run I-DEAS10 but I do not have a manual for Release 10.

In my LMTOOLS under server status this is what I get:

&quot;eds_id10: The desired vendor daemon is down
1) Check the lmgrd log file, or 2) Try lmreread
Feature: FLEXLM_RL
Vendor:Host: J7L1Q9
License path: 7610@J7L1Q9
FLEXlm error: -97,121

Feature usage info:
Users of FLEXLM_RL: Cannot get users of FLEXLM_RL: No such feature exists
Feature: FLEXLM_RL
License path: 7610@J7L1Q9
FLEXlm error: -5,222

thank you all

Hinterneder:
thank you for ur help.

Here is a copy of my license file:

SERVER J7L1Q9 00B0D0E965E5 7610
DAEMON eds_id10 C:\EDS\I-DEAS10\sec\ options=C:\EDS\I-DEAS10\sec\eds_id10.opt
INCREMENT FLEXLM_RL eds_id10 10 permanent 2147483647 8C1ADF94E5AB
PACKAGE CoreMasterModeler eds_id10 10 8F1A3ADD1A48 COMPONENTS=&quot;MasterModeler_C MaterialDataSystem_C 3D_IGES_Translator_C RPT_Translator_C VDA_Translator_C SET_Translator_C IDEAS_Plotting_C&quot;
FEATURE CoreMasterModeler eds_id10 10 14-feb-0 1 6F670B2D8981
FEATURE SurfacingSet eds_id10 10 14-feb-0 1 CC265FA431A0
PACKAGE SimulationModelingSet eds_id10 10 E77006BA8F39 COMPONENTS=&quot;FEM ExtendedFEMandBeam_S&quot;
FEATURE SimulationModelingSet eds_id10 10 14-feb-0 1 8888CECFD72D
PACKAGE SimulationSolutionSet eds_id10 10 9CCD3075BB03 COMPONENTS=&quot;ModelSolutionLinear Optimization QManServer QManClient_S&quot;
FEATURE SimulationSolutionSet eds_id10 10 14-feb-0 1 D303553AAB6B
FEATURE ModelSolutionNonlinear eds_id10 10 14-feb-0 1 724842D1E6C7
FEATURE ResponseAnalysis eds_id10 10 14-feb-0 1 7AC3D8A3706C
FEATURE MasterNotation eds_id10 10 14-feb-0 1 F062609E5159
FEATURE TakeHomeLicenseUtility eds_id10 10 14-feb-0 1 78395B853D5C
FEATURE VRMLAnnotation eds_id10 10 14-feb-0 1 245B0BB1740A
# You can edit the hostname on any SERVER line (1st arg),
# the port address on any SERVER line (3rd arg), the path
# to the daemon on the DAEMON line (2nd arg), or any
# right-half of a string (b) of the form a=b where (a) is all
# lowercase. (For example, xxx in vendor_info=&quot;xxx&quot; can be
# changed). Any other changes will invalidate this license.

help is appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back