Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem transfering files through Front Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnHugill

Computer
Feb 13, 2005
US
Good Morning:

I am hoping for some help with Front Page.
I wish to share files with my company employees, and plan on having the files hosted by whoever hosts the company web site. I have accessed the hosting company with password etc, but cannot, with Front Page 98, transfer the files over. I was able to create on the web site a folder into which to place the files, but the files themselves would not transfer over.

I am using Windows 98 and Front Page 98. Do I need a newer version of Front Page? Also, If I do purchase it, will it work with Windows 98? Thanks, John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

John,

If it's for company employees only, why not host it on a webserver in your LAN. Look at enabling IIS, or Peer Web Server, from Windows NT up, and there should also be a webserver for 98.

Have a look at imatix.xom, or Xitami.com for a nice lightweight webserver

HTH
--Paul

Is your web server windows or unix based?.

I've just installed Apache/Mysql/php/perl on my Windows ME. It was fairly easy and now I can develop my web without infringing on my hosts bandwidth limitations. A couple of issues do exsist when Perl makes unix calls, but for me that was a blessing in disguise as the work around solved other issues.

Installed over the Win98 platform doesn't allow me (reliably) to offer the server to my network. If however I had installed it over 2k or NT, I could offer the server to anyone over the local network.

Either way, It provides a good developmental setup, and when everything is up and running I can do an upload for a fully functional website.

To answer your question more specifically, FrontPage publish may not work at all on your webhost. An FTP program should not give you any problems on either windows or unix system for file uploads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back