Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Checking shear forces between shear wall and response story plot in ETABS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eng-Kh

Civil/Environmental
May 16, 2017
KH
Dear fellow engineers,

I have a question regarding the problem of checking the shear force between core wall and response story plot in ETABS 2016.

I check at the top location of story 75th, and see that the total shear force in core wall is bigger than the total shear force by story response lot under the same wind load case?
I cannot figure out what wrong with this matter?

I have attached the picture below:

Please kindly advice me on this matter.
Thank in advance.

3-7-2019_9-22-10_AM_qwkxzc.png

3-7-2019_9-25-23_AM_r514mi.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The story response plot is the summation of all shears at each element on a particular floor. That means it will be showing the net shear at each floor.

Have you defined the whole core as the pier or individual walls?

If individual walls, your pier force is local and therefore your results suggest that you have 'equal and opposite' shear force in adjacent piers. I'd hazard a guess and say this is due to a torsional effect.

Dear Trenno,

Thank for your response.
I select all the core walls in all story and assign it as one pier [P1], then I check, and the results seem not logic.

Are your columns taking moment/shear? If so, pin the columns so all lateral force needs to go through the core.

Make sure your wall panels are broken at each floor.

I notice the V3 for your pier is also reducing as you go down the building. I agree, something isn't right.

Are the base shear and moments the same between the Story Plots and Pier forces?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back