Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Entering Output Ranges it gives me a Date!! i.e. 10/23/03

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelpAng

Mechanical
Oct 23, 2003
CA
If Anyone can Help!!!!
I am trying to insert an Excel Component, I downloaded the Excel Add-Ons and when entering the Output Ranges it does not work

i.e. If you enter cell range A1:B4
It gives me
10/23/03

Is there anyone that can help I'm going crazy!! Don't know whats going on!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No clue which component or add in you're using so here's perhaps a silly question - have you checked the cell format where you're entering the formula - ie is numeric and not date.

Mutt,
When entering Output Ranges, it is strictly within MathCAD, not Excel!! and there is no way that i know of to change any setting within mathCAD to define it either as a number or date, like in excel!!

I've tried to un-install and re-install MathCAD even the Add-on for excel, and the problem is still occuriing, When entering a range in the Output variable Range, it gives me the Date!!!

The more drastic measure is to uninstall and THOROUGHLY scrub the registry of anything related to Mathcad, before reinstalling. Had to do that once to get rid of an erroneous setting for the location of the resource center.

TTFN

HelpAng,

Is your range (A1:B4) multiple cells or a formatted range?

If it is a formatted range, you only need to type in the A1 cell (where it starts at).

If they are mulitple cells, then you are looking at an array or matrix field.

Is there a way that you can create a live link through an Excel Component? Because I know you can with the read write feature, however when i try that my text headings turn into zero's(0) and loose that text!!! and it is crucial info that must stay!! Basically I am trying to read the data to a specific cell in excel.

HelpAng,

I did a little research with the add-on and with MathCad 11 (This is the release that I use). It says that it can use range names instead of just R1C1 criteria.

If you send me your file I can see what's going on, or if your copy of MathCad is registered, you would probably be better off talking directly with Mathcad Support.

Best of luck. Be sure to post your solution.

I solved the problem,
What happened was when I dowloaded the new add-on for excel for MathCad 2000, I forgot to also download the new service update pack too. So now all is working well.
However my problem still remains, with the fact that I am trying to export my data from my table (excel component) to a live link,
the only major problem is that I need to have specific text written on the first row of cells but when exporting a matrix to excel using the write/read function in mathcadd it writes to the starting cells in excel. (i.e. cell A1)
Therefore not allowing me to have text on that excel spreadsheet. What I want to do is some how specify the starting cell when writing the file (i.e. when naming the matrix/table to write also state its location)

I would really appreciate someones input if this is possible!!! Thanks again for everyones input!!!!

HelpAng,

When you are in MathCad and are inserting the Excel Component, you get a dialog screen that allows you to link your fields. You are not stuck with "A1" as a cell. You can choose any cell(s)/Range(s) that you need.

If this doesn't help, send me a excerpt from you file and I will take a look.

Regards,

John Petty
asmenut@yahoo.com

Not quite sure. based upon my version of MathCad, the read and write feature is for sending data to and from a DAT file, not an excel file.

If you already have the forms created in both, I would use the component and set the cells as needed.

If this is not the case, you will probably need to contact MathSoft's technical support or at the least link to the community site for mathcad and check there.

Sorry I can't help more, but it's really difficult picturing what is actually happening.

Best of Luck,

John Petty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back