Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with failure stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

trabu

Civil/Environmental
Mar 30, 2006
IT
In the standard version, when i use the option "failure stress" in the material definition i have a problem:
when the job starts, abaqus give me this error:

"Anisotropic material properties without a local orientation system have been defined for 168 elements. Anisotripic material properties must be defined in a local orientation system. The elements are identified in element set ErrElemAnisotropicMaterial."

Why????
I've defined the local orientation of my column!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I am not wrong, the "Fail stress" sub-option assumes you deal with orthotropic elastic material, and if you use it the ABAQUS expects you to supply the local material orientation. (Also, various material descriptions might require the material properties to be given with respect to a local orientation system).

To do this, you have to assign a local material orientation. If you use CAE, this can be done in the "Property" section. If you use the input file approach (which I am not very familiar with :) ) you will need to use the ORIENTATION keyword at the part, instance or assembly level.

See section 10.2.3 of the ABAQUS Analysis Users Manual. *FAIL STRESS is a plane stress orthotropic failure measure, usually used for fibre reinforced composite materials.

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back