Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with laser reflection from resin for optical inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGopher

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2010
US
Hello all, first post here. I've searched through the forums throughout my college career, and now at my first job I have just joined the site.

My problem is:

For optical inspection using a 3D camera to optically inspect resin-coated carbon fiber at high speeds. The problem comes when different types of resin coating will absorb the laser instead of reflecting it causing difficulty for the 3D camera to inspect.

LED light is an alternative, however, due to the width of the inspection area, it would be an expensive one. The laser, instead, is spread in a 30deg spray to hit the inspection area.

If anyone can 'shed some light' on my problem of 'shedding light', it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Additionally:
I will have to ask someone more connected with the issue if the current laser is constrained for the application. Even a remedial spectroscope would be great to hit with white light and see the reflection distribution but I don't think we have one available.

I was considering either a wavelength change, economical arrangement (focusing) of LED light, or some type of incidence angle change or polarization of the laser light to increase reflection off the resin.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

TheGopher,

Is your laser infra-red?

Infra-red reflects off of stuff. Try a visible light source.

Critter.gif
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back