Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with linking Abaqus and User Subroutines compiled in fortran 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itap

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2013
IT
Hello guys, I am new on Abaqus.
I have to perform an analisys with DISP subroutine.

The problem I tried and tried but I am not able to make it works.

I found several guides and I followed them but it still doesn't work.

The problem is about the link between Abaqus and Fortran I guess, because when I want to check data before submit the analysis it gets me this message:

"Problem during linking - Abaqus/Standard User Subroutines. This error may be due to a mismatch in the Abaqus user subroutine arguments. These arguments sometimes change from release to release, so user subroutines used with a previous release of Abaqus may need to be adjusted."

As I already said, I followed some guide I found on the internet and the strange thing is when I want to check in the Abaqus command with "abaqus verify -user_std" I get "PASS":

2mrz1j9.jpg

so, where is the problem?

PS. I already use user subroutines succesfully with MSC.Marc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It sounds odd to me. Unfortunately that error seems to be a very generic one so it may not have anything to do with the real reason you are having problems.

Have you tried to run any of the example problems in the help that use user defined subroutines? I believe there might be one or two that use a DISP. That would be a good check to see if it is a problem of running them in general or something in your setup.

Han primo incensus

I imagine you are running the two batch files (vcvars... , ifortvars ... ) before trying to run abaqus with a subroutine. If that is the case, then it is certainly a first for me (given that the verification passed).

What is the command you are using in the command prompt?

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQ:

IceBreakerSours said:
I imagine you are running the two batch files (vcvars... , ifortvars ... ) before trying to run abaqus with a subroutine. If that is the case, then it is certainly a first for me (given that the verification passed).

What is the command you are using in the command prompt?

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I included the subroutine in the definition of the job, so I run the analisys from the Abaqus window and not from batch. This because I tried with the two batch file as I do with Msc.Marc but it didn't work.

If you please explain how to make the two batch file Iwould appreciate (or link to somewhere when it is explained).

The two batch I made are:

"run.bat"
Code:
call C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe /E:ON /V:ON /K ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2011 SP1\bin\ipsxe-comp-vars.bat" intel64 vs2010"<abaqus.bat&pause

"abaqus.bat"
Code:
abaqus job=my_job.inp user=my_usersubroutine.for interactive

Many thanks

Thanks. I finally make it works launching the analisys form the Abaqus command line and moving everything in the temp directory. Don't ask me why but it works now.

Just another question. When I run an analisys with Msc.Marc from command line (same as for batch file you know better than me :D) I am able to see increment by increment what Marc is doing (in terms of displacements, residuals and so on).

I guess in Abaqus the command is "interactive" but using it, I am able to see only the beginning and the end of the simulation.

Is there a command in Abaqus which allows us to see in the command window what Abaqus is doing during the analisys?

Thank you

Well, perhaps, you are asking the solver to try to solve the model in one increment and the solver is actually doing what you asked it to do. Look in to the .sta file. If there are more increments in the sta file than what you saw in the interactive session in the command prompt window, then I am not sure what's going on.

I don't do interactive sessions. Instead, after running the job, I use the tail command: tail -f FILENAME and then using Ctrl+C I get back to the command prompt.

There are 300 increments in the analisys, maybe Abaqus just works differently from Marc.
Thank you for your precious advices anyway. ;)

Unless I misunderstood your previous posts, I have never encountered such a thing. You always see as many increments in the command prompt as there are in the .sta file, assuming you are running an interactive session as follows:

Code:
abqXXXX -j myJobFile -user myUserSubroutine.for -int

where XXX tends to be the version number. Sometimes it may simply be abaqus instead of abqXXXX.

I tried with your code (wich is very similar to the one used in Marc "run_marc -j myJOB -u mySUB -b no") but it didn't work for me.

I uploaded a video in which I show this to you. First I ran an analisys with Abaqus and as you can see although the dimendion of the pippo.odb file increase because increments are written, from the command window we are unable to see anything. Second, I show you what happen with Msc.Marc, when I run the same analisys. Hope this can help you to understand what I meant before.

Link_to_video

Sorry, I was wrong in my statement above: "You always see as many increments in the command prompt as there are in the .sta file, assuming you are running an interactive session as follows:"

Try what I mentioned previously i.e., don't run the interactive session and use the tail command.

Thanks for your help. I think we are almost there but I saw that the "tail" command works only on UNIX, and I am working on Windows. Should I use a converter like unix2dos or something like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back