Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Problem with one HP laptop not compiling Arduino IDE sketches, produces cryptic error messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavbilly

Chemical
May 17, 2016
US
Recently, in the last few weeks, I have been spending some spare time working on a load cell sketch for an Arduino Mega board, with 20x4 character LCD display, and a data logging shield with real time clock.

Unfortunately, I was using a "cheapie" HP laptop that only has about 32 GB, something mysteriously taking up all the disc (McAfee AV doing this???? Microsoft apps copying themselves over and over?? I don't know for sure, and neither did my computer repair guy).

Numerous tries, could not get the LCD to work at all, even though my good buddy in England was providing link to the working NewLiquidCrystal Library, and also the test code to try out.

I finally told him I was abandoning ship with the HP, and went to my trusty desktop (also running Windows 10 after upgrade), and the sketch compiled on first try, with beautiful results appearing on the display.

I also tried this subsequently on an older Gateway laptop (upgraded also to Windows 10, lots memory available, runs a bit slower, but reliable), and it compiled on the first go!

What could possible be the issue with the HP (small) laptop? Piece of junk?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree with you on that, but unfortunately did not find much while searching. It seems other users have had a lot of issues with verifying code in their sketches since Windows 10 has been on the scene.

That's 32GB of SSD? That's an awfully tiny drive. Windows on my HP takes up 39GB, mainly because Windows now retains EVERY software installation source in the Windows folder so that when you want to modify or un-install, Windows can do that without having you supply the original installation disks. Note that this started quite a while ago; my Win7 Windows folder is 73GB.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Yeah, I bought this computer at a really cheap {surprise} price. It was supposedly with one year of 1 TB of "the cloud". The only clouds I know about are
(1) the ones angels sit around on, and
(2) the ones over my head when it is raining or about to rain.
I never could get "on the cloud", and they (Microsoft) are about zero help getting there.

Yes, that appears to be the answer. I cannot do that myself, as I am not a computer technician, and have no intentions of becoming one.
Taking computers apart, yes, I can take anything apart. It is the putting back together in working order I am concerned about.

I have a computer guy here in town that is excellent, maybe he can take care of it for me, after things have settled down on my project.

Those laptops with 32Gb are actually netbooks - the "drive" is built into the motherboard. They cannot be replaced with an SSD. The drive is small because the manufacturers expect the users of netbooks to store everything on the net and not on the machine.

It is similar to a chromebook but with Windows instead of ChromeOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back