Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with properties attb(text) controled by an expression that is controled by a part family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh018

Industrial
Aug 24, 2012
US
Hey Guys, Using NX7.5.0.32
I have searched and search this forum to try and find some answers.... so far i found out how to make a part family and save it, but i have a problem getting a text string to update in my properties attributes for a parts list later down the road.

here is what i have

stock_1=1/2-UNCx3.25_SHCS
stock =ug_setPartAttrValue( "Stock", stringValue(Stock_1) )

when I go creat part from the add ins menu it makes the part just fine, but when i open that part up that it just created and check the properties the ATTR Stock is left Blank, but when i go to the Expressions dialog it says the correct information but the Value colum shows ERROR, i have attached a picture, please any help would be great..... when i searched and searched, that doesn't mean that its not there it just means that I couldn't find it or its not there...

Thanks in advaced, there is so much info here it is almost overwhelming

Josh...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since the way Attributes and Expressions exchange data has been completely reworked in NX 8.0 I would not attempt anything like this until you've upgraded for three reasons; first we've removed that old KF routines from the list of Expression functions, and while old files which use them will continue to work (as good and/or as BAD as they always did) this scheme will no longer be officially supported. Second, the changes made in NX 8.0 were done to not only make it easier to accomplish something like this, but also to make it behave properly when used in conjunction with other functionality inside of NX. For example, the old pre-NX 8.0 scheme never did a good job of updating properly when changes were made, which I suspect is the real culprit in your situation. And third, but not least, we are NOT going to entertain ANY PR's with respect to the pre-NX 8.0 schemes. Since they are no longer going to be officially supported starting with NX 8.0, except in legacy parts, any PR's against them will be given a very low priority since they've been all but made obsolete.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thank you for your quick responce, I had to go and ask our IT guy why we are not updated to a newer rev yet, and he informed me that we have to remain on the same level as our parent company, reason being no. one its a corperate license deal I guess, and second, when we exchanged prt files, we can work on and view them in both directions....

Thank you John for the very informitive reply, now I can't wait till we rev up, at least to the next rev....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back