Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems creating new view

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAREng

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2011
US
I would like to thank everyone that has responded in advance to some of my threads! I am new to pro/e and I will be starting a job soon that will require knowledge of the software. I wanted to go in as prepared as I could! In any case, my problem is that I am trying to create an isometric view so I can access it when I open a new file. I will describe what I've done so far step by step.

1. Set working directory
2. (click) Reorient
3. Change from Orient by reference to Dynamic orient
4. set V = -45 and H= 35.2644
5. Name Isometric
6. Save
7. Set
8. Save file

after I do this and I try to open a new file the Isometric view that I made is not available. I don't understand why? If I can get some suggestions that would be great. Thank you for all your help!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is possible to set this as the default orientation but you cannot make multiple default views which are available upon startup. If all you require is to have your "Isometric" view as the default orientation (in which when you select standard or default orientation it will go to that view) then that can be done using the following config.pro options:
orientation --> user_defined
x_angle --> 35.2644
y_angle --> -45
or whatever angles you prefer. But again this is only for the default view orientation. Although as I am writing this I realized you should be able to do that as well on the default part template. First create the template the way you want it then save in a "templates" folder which you create (mine is in my startup directory) and point to it using config.pro option template_solidpart.

That should be what your after. Hope that helps and good luck.

- J -

Saving a named view saves it in the object (part or assembly) that you created it in. It doesn't save it for any other parts. You need to open your template part(s) and assemblie(s), create the view(s) and save. Then new parts and assemblies will have the additional named views.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

I did some online research and I found out that the files I should be editing are the ones that are labeled "mmns_part_solid.prt" and "inlbs_part_solid.prt". I went to try and add the isometric view by opening my templates folder in the install directory and adding the view as I had explained in my first post on the thread. I did this and I was unable to save it. I haven't done any further research, but does pro/e prevent alterations to this file?

Those are Pro/E's built in templates (in <loadpoint>\templates). I suspect you don't have file permissions to write there. Those are basically the templates Pro/E uses when you tell it to NOT use a (custom) template. Make your own template folder and save your part, assembly and drawing templates there as well as drawing formats. Set config.pro option start_model_dir to your template folder.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Suggestion you can Modify original Part mmgs or In_part etc. or make a Mapkey (macro)

Tools Mapkeys
Create.
Enter key combo like "vci" for View Create Iso
Hit Record
2. (click) Reorient
3. Change from Orient by reference to Dynamic orient
4. set V = -45 and H= 35.2644
5. Name Isometric
6. Save
Hit Done on Record Mapkey dialog hit Save Changed in mapkey dialog and save to config.pro

In Tools Environment there is a setting to make default Isometric trimetric. I usually have that set to Trimetric and make my Iso with rotations from front view as you mentioned.

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ mcSldWrx2008
= ProE = SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back