Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems getting well to flow after extended shut in

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrisonH

Petroleum
May 26, 2010
US
I'm looking for any examples of people having trouble getting a well to flow after an extended shut in (a couple of months). I'd like to read any texts that show what caused the decreased flow, and any solutions they found to remedy this problem. Any insight would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry bout that, should've been a little more clear. The wells were drilled, cased, and all tested dry clean gas. They were then shut in for a few months while waiting on pipeline to be built. The production data is where it gets tricky. The only data available is the total mcf produced each month (after the shut in). Assuming they produced each day, the production rate is about 95% less than what it should have been. All politics aside, I'm looking for cases in which non-compartmentalized, proven reservoirs have been damaged during a long shut in. Also, I don't believe they were shut in with fluid in the hole, rather they were simply capped and temporarily abandoned. There were no artificial lifts.

EDIT:
"All politics aside, I'm looking for cases in which non-compartmentalized, proven reservoirs have been damaged during a long shut in."

I'll choose my words more carefully. I'm looking for any case in which people had trouble REGAINING FLOW after a long shut in like this. Not necessarily caused by damage to the entire reservoir.

Thanks!

Was the well hydraulically fracced? How permeable is your reservoir? IDK if people on here are going to be able to give you specifics (field, time, etc), as I think your best bet is an SPE.org/OnePetro search on their eLibrary.

be willing to bet your wells have filled with fluids while they were shut in and now the fluid column is holding back your gas, happens here regularly on low production wells, nor enough volume to produce the fluids through a velocity string

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back