Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems simulating a cylindrical torque transducer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrisDanebergs

Mechanical
Mar 25, 2009
SE
Hello

I am working on a cylindrical torque transducer. Strain gages will be used to read shear strain when torque is applied to the cylinder. Other forces than the torque are applied to the transducer body. One end of the the transducer is assembled using interference fit.

I have performed Mechanica analysis applying pressure on the surface wich is in interferende fit, but having a hard time rewieving results. I want to see how the interference fit is affecting the shear strain that strain gages are picking upp.
I made a cylindrical coordinate system, and reviewing results in a TZ direction, Z is inline with the transducer body axis. I want to see the shear strain acting on the transducer body.

I expect the strain to be more or less uniform round the cylindric body, but the results show the strain reaching 2 maximum areas and 2 minimum areas with a even pith of 90 deg. I suspect the cartesian coordinate system messing something upp.

Mechanica results when only torque is applied show uniform share strain when results are displayed in the TZ direction.

Can anyone help me?
Are the results I’m getting correct?
Am I doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back