Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Join Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesEtch

Industrial
Sep 9, 2002
EU
Hi there, I am having big problems trying to join two components in an assembly using the join feature. The components are quite complex and started life as parasolid models generated by a CFD program. The parts are a fighter jet style bubble canopy and a car shape. I have succeded in joining each of the parts in question to a variety of other parts but they won't seem to join together. The error messages are either 'failed to merge bodies', which is no help or 'zero thickness geometery', which I understand in principle but I cant identify any such geometery in my parts. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, or knew of any geometery that is particularly difficult to use the join feature with, cheers

James Etchells

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try variations of the 'force surface contact' join option.
Try to do a cavity of one part with the other part and discover where the interferences are. This, to me, is more clear than just doing an interference evaluation

Crashj 'parts is parts' Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back