Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with units in Abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

optimus2007

Mechanical
Sep 3, 2008
DE
As far as I am informed Abaqus does not care about units.
After setting the "approximate size" I have noticed that the measurement of the model has the factor 1:100.
For example line A to B has the value 1 (distance "H1"). But I want it to be 100. And not only for this line but for the whole model, which has a complex geometry.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure why you have a scale to the model unless it's to do with importing geometry, but you can copy the part and scale it back up by some factor, When you assemble the parts make sure you have the right parts.

Tata

On complex freeform parts I find that the scale introduces slivers and other geometrical issues. I usually go to the CAD and scale there. I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Thanx for the comments.
Where can I modify it in CAE Abaqus?

There is a "Shetch option" , but I am still confused,
because the measurements of the model remain.

What scale option did you use when you were importing the geometry?

And as already pointed out, this would result in silver linings in your final model and this may cause problems during the time of meshing.

What not scale it up in your CAD environment and then import the geometry as *stp file options in Abaqus CAE?

Dude,

The scale factor cames with the model (geometry) input you've done!

About the units, ABAQUS "doesn't" consider wheter units you're using, so the results are in the units you've input.

As an example, I usually want the STRESS results in MPa [N/mm^2] so my units input should be:
PRESSURE, STRESS: N/mm^2
LENGHT: mm
FORCE: N
POISSON: NON DIMENSIONAL
DENSITY: ton/mm^3 (same as density in g/cc * E-09)

This is just an example, so if you wanna your results in a unit, you should work with de inputs dimensionallity to get it as a result!

Hope this can help you!

Best regrads,
Eduardo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back