Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Procedure Qualification

Status
Not open for further replies.

S R Ramanujam

Industrial
Sep 4, 2018
IN
I am well versed with ASME Sec.IX,which very clearly states that a procedure qualified in Vertical position qualifies the procedures for use in all positions.

But AWS Table 4.1 states that in plates aprocedure qualified in vertical position qualifies for production welding in the same position only,whereas in the case of pipes a procedure qualified to a pipe in 6GR position qualifies the procedures in plate also to be used in all positions.

Hence can i roll a plate of a particular chemistery to a certain size allowed in the table, qualify the procedure.Will it qualify in all positions for plates as well as pipes as per Table 4.1?

Is my understanding correct or is there a serious flaw?

Regards

S R Ramanujam

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The 6GR position per AWS D1.1 is a pipe fixed with the axis of the pipe 45 degrees to the horizon. The welder would have to weld in the overhead, vertical, and horizontal positions to weld the tubular assembly. Add to that, the restriction ring that limits the welder's access. It is a very difficult test to pass.

Best regards - Al

Dear gtaw (Structural)

Thank you so much for your immediate response. I agree with you that this is a very difficult position for a welder to clear. In case you have an expert welder who can weld in this position is it ok to propose and reduce the number of procedures theoretically at least.
Am I correct in assuming such an interpretation because that covers all the positions and that position actually does not change the properties of the weld metal that is getting established by means of thsis procedure qualification?

Regards

S R Ramanujam

If you have the personnel with the skills to pass the 6GR, go for it. It isn't a test for the faint of heart. I've passed it, but the welder will have to be skilled to pass it. I had a project with 128 qualified welders. Only 5 of them pass the 6GR.

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back