Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Process consultan

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipelinevzla

Mechanical
Feb 18, 2009
PE
Greetings to all.

I would like someone to clarify whether from the standpoint of processes can be used with a valve JT effect for the following process:

The gas that comes from dehydration (0.5 lb / MM) is cooled in two stages (30 to 120 º F, 30 to 5 º F), then goes to a separator. The current ceiling for the sale of gas compressors to 1120 psi. Liquids can stop them through a JT valve and expanded to 350 psi and into a tower and Desetanizadora stabilization? or it would be through control valves?.

The top of the tower off gas recompression and mixing with residual gas. The bottom goes to LGN Fraccionamiento.

My question stems from the fact that I have always viewed JT valves in gas. No liquids.

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

there is no such thing as a JT valve. A JT valve is jsut an name given to a plain motor operated valve or control valve. We just any valve that reduces pressure in cold service the name JT. We could call it a Fernando valve if we wanted too.

"JT" expansion is a popular name for an isenthalpic expasion e.i. one where the work performed when reducing pressure is transferred into heat in the "fluid". This is oppsed to an isentropic expansion. Here the entropy remains constant and the temperature get much lower.

As dcasto says - theres no such thing as a JT valve, or a flow control valve or a pressure control valves - they are all just valves!

Best regards

Morten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back