Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

producing quantities control for volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyirish

Geotechnical
Jan 17, 2013
Good day and thanks to anyone who reads this. My boss uses and old DOS based program called EMXS to measure his quantities work for stock piles, borrow pits, undercut and exc. I have been teaching myself to use Trimble Business Centre. Now he's swears by EMXS being more accurate, but i know it only averages ever 1.5m at best of a volume. Now TBC take the full volume of two surfaces. My question is, is there some place or someone who knows how to get a control quantity that is 100% correct that we could compare what the two programs get? Thank you for you time.

John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If both programs work from generated TIN surfaces, feed them a couple of self generated control surfaces. Say an existing plane of 100.0 and a nominal trapzoidal volume say with a top elevation of 105 and 1:1 sideslopes. See what they both get.

As a documented check, you can hand calc it also using an average grid "at center" or "four corners" method, or even "end areas" since we are using idealized surfaces.

This is the stand methodology I was taught. I've coded in borrow pits using mainframe punch cards, Excel spreadsheets and comparitive TINs. At the end of the day, I'd argue only the method backed by detailed hand calculations would prevail in court if ever pressed on it.

By the way: With the generated surfaces I've seen from some topo work over the years, the subsequent TINs will vary under either program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back