Product data management tips please

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuyoung

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2002
NZ
Hello,
3 yrs of work have resulted in a device with 200 unique parts, 800 in total per assembly.
Each of these parts has had up to five people quote for it.
Some parts have tooling quotes associated with them.
I am now trying to organise my data so I can give accurate pricing information to the marketing department, I would like to easily see what difference different tooling verses fabrication scenarios would have on the cost in the future.
I currently use Solidworks and Excel Spread sheets with limited success,
Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Making the assumption that you do not have a formal MRP system available to help with your bill of materials (BOM), you can do a significant portion if not all using EXCEL or a similar spreadsheet program.

You have some 800 parts in the assembly, try to break this down into a logical sub-assembly structure that will allow you to work pieces of data rather than the whole. Apply costing data to the various subs and then sum them up for your total. Components from various suppliers may be designated with a supplier unique code which would allow you to do "side by side" sub-assembly combinations of components. Take the non-recurring engineering, tooling, and quoted parts cost and amortize them over a set number of assemblies or forcast product volume to provide cost comparisons. You can do this as well if you are considering doing the part internally provided you know your Material, Tooling, Labor, Overhead (MTLO) values.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back