Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Product Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

KYLE06716

Mechanical
Jun 18, 2013
US
I have a 20 day trial of SolidWorks Premium 2013 that I will be reviewing for my company to see if we would like to switch from Pro/E to SolidWorks. I would like to get the most out of the 20 days and really check out every aspect of the program. Does anybody have any tips or know of any trial walkthroughs that exist so that I can plan a bit better before I start my trial.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Being a Pro/E user you must already know how to model, so your biggest transition might well be learning the different terminology that SWX uses vs. Pro/E. The SWX tutorials are superb, but they are geared for beginners. You should go through them to learn the SWX way of doing things. You should be able to blow through them very, very quickly and it will dramatically reduce your frustration with the transition.

BTW, I used to be a Pro/E user and every person I know personally that has used both say that SWX is so much more intuitive than Pro/E, plus there are more ways to do something. You don't hear the argument anymore that Pro/E can do this or that and SWX can't, mostly because there was hardly anything that SWX could not do that Pro could. Sometimes you might have had to take more steps to do it, but you could still get it done. Either that or it was for some inane feature that few people ever needed anyway.

- - -Updraft

Every company I have been at claims to abide by ASME Y14.X standards, yet each company's drawings are vastly different. Spend some time to ensure you can output the same level of final drawings that your company and co-workers are used to seeing, or be prepared for a storm of minor and irritating complaints if you decide to make the switch to SW.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

I would also suggest that you look at and try SolidEdge as well sense you are looking at new CAD systems. Get the full picture of both systems before deciding.FYI4U.

Do a really thorough benchmark running your parts/assemblies/drawings through any system that you decide should be on your short list. I worked for a company that assumed SolidWorks would be better than Solid Edge by appearance/media/OPINION, but Solid Edge proved to wipe the floor with SolidWorks when it came to ACTUAL FACTS. A lot depends on your business and what kind of stuff you're designing/documenting. It may take some time to do a thorough benchmark, but the time invested up front will pale in comparison to time wasted if you make the wrong choice... There are some BLOG posts here that show some of the features of Solid Edge and the power of Synchronous Technology written from the point of view of an ex-SolidWorks users and author:
Also, here is a link to the Solid Edge online Help if that helps as well, and take a look at the What's New section (compare to the last What's New with other systems on your short list):
Ken G.

Have you checked out the Solid Edge Community site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back