Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Product view Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

joede

Aerospace
Jan 28, 2001
US
Has anyone tried the new viewer from PTC "Productview Express"?

We would like to set up all of our machined parts vendors with a viewer to read Pro E (2000i)drawings electronically to save the time and effort required in mailing paper prints for quotes etc.

I tried loading the Productview Express on my computer (it doesn't have Pro E loaded)to see how it works. I could not get it to work. When I clicked a Pro E drawing, the viewer began to load but the window that came up didn't have all the buttons displayed and the viewer showed only a blank screen and no drawing. I loaded the Java appalet and the viewer as instructed.

What's up with this viewer? Has anyone had similar problems? What solutions if any are there? Is there another free viewer that any of you might recommend that all of our vendors could use? Many of our vendors don't have Pro E.

Any comments advice, help about Pro E viewers (especially Productview Express)would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Joede

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First make sure you are using Internet explorer 5 or above. And the java console is enabled. (May require reboot).
Install the Java appalet (which you have done).
Install The viewer.

The end user will also have to have a three button mouse. (Microsofts mouse with the scroll wheel also works as the wheel can also be pressed and used as a middle button.) You may already know this?

If you use save as on a part in Pro/e you then have to open the copied part regen and save the part again.

If you are viewing assemblies all the parts have to be in the same directory. Use save as. If your assm has family table parts in select new model. Select all the parts and sub assm's to copy and save them in a new directory.

Change your working directory to the one you have saved the copy in.

Erase all not displayed.

Open all the assm's individually, regen and save them.

Have you seen the distructions on how to use the viewer as the option save_model_display should be set to shading_lod

I have made a CD for our customers with Installation instructions, the viewers operation instructions and all the files needed (sounds like you have them anyway).

This works fine for me.

Any Probs email me at miles@acorn-engineering.co.uk

Thanks for the info I will try your suggestions. I will let you know if we can get it working.

Thanks for the helping hand

The product view express only works for the user that had installed product view express. I was installing PVX on another machines (WindowsNT) using my Adminstrator account and it worked fine me logging into WindowsNT. Trying to present the application to another user (his login) caused the same problems as you described in the first mail.

s.koch@parker-emd.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back